Keyboard Maestro 8.2.4 “Literary Toolbox” Palette

palette

Name: Literary Toolbox
Author: Mike Pasini
Version: 1.0a
Last Update: 3 December 2018

This set of macros can be used to evaluate text in several different ways. They can be helpful to authors but also to readers evaluating or studying various texts.

They each work on a text selection rather than a discrete file, parsing the selection copied to the clipboard and stripping it of any style information before analysis.

That helps (if isn't quite a cure) for text selected in a word processor. But you should have no problem with text selections made in any editor or within a Web browser.

Some of the tools push the limits of what an algorithm can tell us about human communication but we still find them useful if not for raw data at least for comparisons or trends.

We've used some of these for years and some for a few months. And while they do tap into the power of some third-party code, only a couple rely on commercial software and even those have free equivalents.

Keyboard Maestro provides a simple interface to these tools. A palette (with an optional custom color scheme) organizes them for easy recall. And custom HTML forms that use the same color scheme as the palette provide easy-to-read reports.

Sample reports:

ss-769

ss-772

ss-778

ss-777

The .zip file contains the PDF documentation and the complete palette.

LiteraryToolbox.10a.zip (782.7 KB)

Best Macro List

Attempted install cpanm got this error:

BernsHome$ curl -L http://cpanmin.us | perl - --sudo App::cpanminus
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 295k 100 295k 0 0 1134k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 1137k
--> Working on App::cpanminus
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/M/MI/MIYAGAWA/App-cpanminus-1.7044.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring App-cpanminus-1.7044 ... OK
Building and testing App-cpanminus-1.7044 ... FAIL
! Installing App::cpanminus failed. See /Users/BernsHome/.cpanm/work/1544194574.41445/build.log for details. Retry with --force to force install it.

Here's the last line of the build.log with the failed step:

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
-> FAIL Installing App::cpanminus failed. See /Users/BernsHome/.cpanm/work/1544194574.41445/build.log for details. Retry with --force to force install it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I do have Xcode installed, which may have created that missing directory for me.

One simple thing to try at the commend line is this solution:

xcode-select --install

Hope that helps!

Installing the command line developer tools handled the cpanminus install.

Now the last distribution from "cpan at https://metacpan.org/ pod/Lingua::EN::Grammarian" to retrieve the caution and error files returns a 404 page not found error.

Any other way to get the files?

Thanks!

That URL looks suspicious (there's a space in it). But the original source does specify this command line:

cpanm Lingua::EN::Grammarian

(And you'll need that link to get the error and caution files, too.)

Addendum:

I found the cpan install for Grammarian from my Terminal session and it looks like this:

MikePasinisMBP:~ mrpasini$ cpanm Lingua::EN::Grammarian --sudo
--> Working on Lingua::EN::Grammarian
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DC/DCONWAY/Lingua-EN-Grammarian-0.000005.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring Lingua-EN-Grammarian-0.000005 ... OK
Building and testing Lingua-EN-Grammarian-0.000005 ... Password:
OK
Successfully installed Lingua-EN-Grammarian-0.000005
1 distribution installed

You are correct. The Literary Toolbox pdf version has that URL with a line wrap. Copying and pasting from the pdf inserts a space where the line wraps to the next line. Removing the space got me to the correct page.

Onto installing the error and caution files...

Thanks!

Thanks for your persistence. When you get through the installation, I'll update the PDF to cover these issues.