Keyboard Maestro Editor Megathread

How is this different from simply clicking on the Action name and then typing a new name? Is it merely that it gets you there with a keystroke instead of a mouse click, or am I missing something?

I don’t think you can change the action name with a single click on the action... for me I have to right-click and then click Rename..., so having a hotkey is faster for me.

2 Likes

Yes, and the ⌘R keyboard shortcut* is already provided in the Keyboard Maestro application was configured by me in the macOS System Settings (formerly called the System Preferences). See my post below for more information.

*There's a potential point of confusion for new Keyboard Maestro users:

• macOS Keyboard Shortcuts : Like the aforementioned hard-coded ⌘R; this is the term Apple uses in macOS for these key combinations.

• Keyboard Maestro Hot Keys : This is one type of Keyboard Maestro macro trigger; they normally include modifiers like macOS Keyboard Shortcuts.

Clear as mud, right?

1 Like

Hi, @August.

Unless @cdthomer and I are missing something, a simple action click won't do it. BTW, a double-click does collapse/expand an action.

(As an aside: my personal preference is to always use the keyboard, if possible. I suffer from ergo pain when I overuse a mouse.)

My point above was that a macro is no longer needed to initiate an Action Rename by keyboard. [ EDIT: I've set a ⌘R keyboard shortcut in the macOS System Settings (formerly called the System Preferences). See my post below for more information. In that post, @cdthomer, cleared up confusion that I likely created. ]

For those that like to use a pointing device, there is another option: the action Gear Icon>Rename...

2 Likes

Say what? For me ⌘R activates the record a macro feature...

3 Likes

Hi, @cdthomer. Good catch!

Looky here, I had set these in the macOS System Settings (likely many months ago when they were still callel the macOS System Preferences).

BTW, Apple, please, please, please give us back the System Preferences? The new (and ugly) System Settings have caused nothing but heartache.

Sorry about confusion that I likely caused above. I will update my earlier posts. Thanks, @cdthomer!

3 Likes

Haha no worries, I initially thought maybe I had setup different keyboard shortcuts in the os preferences. :sweat_smile:

I use System Keyboard Preferences (Setting) this way for most application menu commands whose keyboard shortcut I want to change.

Some people are fine with using a KM select-menu macro, but I like to be able to look in the menu and see the keyboard shortcut. I also like the fact that they work when Keyboard Maestro isn't running.

2 Likes

Agree, @ccstone, but now that I look at my MBPro System Settings, I see that I haven’t set up as many I’ve done on my Mac mini (running Mojave). Can I blame Apple for the butt-ugly System Settings?

Largely an advantage, but sometimes users forget that a keyboard shortcut isn't a default for the app. :joy:

You do that? :open_mouth:

1 Like

That’s sacrilege around here. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hell, yes!

Rarely if ever by choice...

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Good to always remind people of that site; I have it in my Favorites.

Too bad Apple doesn’t provide some bounty for bug discovery and reporting. (The bugs in iOS Shortcuts: :scream:. My index finger is still sore.)

1 Like

Automating the Keyboard Maestro Editor with AppleScript

The thread Automating the Keyboard Maestro Editor with AppleScript includes a wealth of information.

1 Like

Thank you for that kick in the pants. I've been meaning to change that for months -- ⌘R is so ingrained as "Run" that I'm forever starting a recording by mistake. No more!

3 Likes

Oops. Me too. Never mind ...

1 Like

Move Macros to TEST GROUP

Handy when you've downloaded and installed macros from the forum. Select them and trigger this macro, which will move them to a group of your choosing and delete the group they were in if it's now empty. It will then navigate to your nominated test group and enable the macros that have been moved. It comes set to move to TEST GROUP by default (green action).

Move Macros to "TEST" Group.kmmacros (58 KB)

Macro screenshot

If you'd like to auto-import downloaded macros to your test group, this macro runs the one above as a submacro:

Auto-Import Downloaded Macros to TEST GROUP.kmmacros (50 KB)

Macro screenshot

Change the folder trigger to your downloads folder and the group name in the green action.

6 Likes

Indeed, very handy when lazy people like me leave the macros in my own groups when uploading. Sometimes I leave them there because it's instructive, but usually I'm just lazy.

Thanks, @noisneil. Immediate download!

UPDATE: I see this macro uploads to the Keyboard Maestro group. That makes perfect sense!

On my system, I moved it to the .KM ⚪️ group. I like to keep the group names short and have the permanent groups sort to the top, thus the . prefix. The ⚪️ suffix indicates that the macros in the group only trigger when that particular application, Keyboard Maestro in this case, is active.

What conventions do others use?

1 Like

Super Cool!

Downloaded and used already.

Where did you get this UI info to write the AppleScript?

Thanks

1 Like

UI Browser

2 Likes

Updated with auto-import option above.

1 Like