KM Engine seems responsible for overall system slowdown after a few days

This morning I noticed a significant slowdown in normal, fundamental operations, e.g. selecting files, dragging, editing, etc.

I eliminated applications one by one with no change, then finally quit the KM engine, which instantly restored normal speed and function. After about 15 minutes I restarted the KM engine and all seems well again.

Would this indicate a memory leak, or should I review my (small, simple, newbie) set of macros to make sure I haven't mistakenly made them unnecessarily vigilant?

....I guess either way it is some type of cumulative issue, because it resolved with a quit/relaunch of the KM engine. If it were solely my macros, the slowdown would've recurred as soon as I relaunched KM engine.

Thanks much!

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I’ve had KM running on Macs that stay up for weeks and months without seeing this, so it’s definitely not universal. I’m guessing contacting Peter with the appropriate logs would be the best course of action.

There has been a very long thread about potential “memory leaks” with KM, but with no definitive result.

The worst misbehavior I’ve personally ever experienced with KM Engine is that it simply stops working, albeit the process still running. This happens very rarely (like once in three months or so, and after a very long system uptime), and relaunching the Engine makes it work again.

I’m experiencing the same behavior. Takes KM about a minute to load sometimes. My whole system goes to a crawl until it’s done loading. This is only happening with KM running. I’ve been researching to try to find the culprit. It’s been happening since 9 was released. Obviously, it could be something else, or coincidental, but whatever it is - it’s terrorizing Keyboard Maestro and my system. iMac 2014 - 32 gb ram and on a half full SSD.

Just to be clear, in my case it has nothing to do with launching KM or how long it takes to launch KM. It is an overall system slowdown of fundamental operations such as clicking, dragging, typing, etc., that resolved immediately when I quit the KM engine. I had last restarted my machine two or three days ago; I have the KM engine set to start up on login.

Understood. I should have explained that my experience has been in addition to what you have experienced. When I mentioned loading, I should have said the Editor. My Engine starts at log in as well.

Looking at my KM Editor log (I assume this is when I'm laughing the Editor), here are some items that caught my eye:

2020-01-16 08:48:21 Editor Starting 9.0.4
2020-01-16 08:48:54 Running application query took a while (3020 us)
2020-01-16 08:48:54 Running application query took a while (4749 us)
2020-01-16 08:48:54 Running application query took a while (4185 us)

I see this in my Engine log (I think this is when my system slows down - I'm not certain though):

2020-01-16 13:52:44 Assertion Failed: mIsTriggerRepeating, file: …/Source/Triggers/TBaseTrigger.mm:117, value: 0
2020-01-16 13:52:44 Assertion Failed: mTriggerRepeater, file: …/Source/Triggers/TBaseTrigger.mm:173, value: 0
2020-01-16 13:52:44 Assertion Failed: mIsTriggerRepeating, file: …/Source/Triggers/TBaseTrigger.mm:117, value: 0
2020-01-16 13:52:44 Assertion Failed: mTriggerRepeater, file: …/Source/Triggers/TBaseTrigger.mm:173, value: 0

I didn't want to Hijack your post, I just wanted to indicate that I've seen similar behavior.
I haven't sent anything to Peter as I didn't want to disturb him. Maybe he will see this and provide any experience. However, if it gets really bad, I'll email him.

KC

No harm done! :slight_smile:

I experienced a slow down with a macro the was triggered when mail was running and would trigger every four seconds looking for an image "Hi". This was an attempt to delete spam email automatically

I disabled the macro Always Bring All Finder Windows to Front and have not had any further issues. I'm not sure what prompted me to try it other than a hunch that it was working overtime.

Good catch! Perhaps @peternlewis can investigate.

Was Keyboard Maestro running any macros at the time? Did any macros appear in the Cancel submenu or the Debugger window?

No, I was just going about my normal work, and at that point hadn't yet built many macros.

Hello All,

I just wanted to report that the problem, I had, was solved by a @peternlewis suggestion from a few days ago. He was able to diagnose my issue from my spindump file. The spindump indicated that the KM Editor was checking whether the KM engine was correctly within my the login items and while doing so there must have been a corruption from different entry. I removed all the entries and loaded the apps I needed back again. Now KM loads quickly and there is no additional slow down. This was fixed for almost a week ago with no issue. Just letting you all know.

Thanks again @peternlewis!

KC

2 Likes