Mac quick actions> Create PDF from 2 files

Hi awesome people!

I have 2 PDF files saved in a folder. I want to use Mac quick actions > Create PDF to merge the 2 files. I do it manually several times in a day (select the 2 files, right click, quick actions and create pdf)... Is there any way to do this with KM. I would like to merge those files and combine in 1 pdf without using any other tool just the quick action of mac or something simple, but not any website or anything like that.

This is what I do manually:

I don't like to use KM mouse actions because the mouse position usually varies a lot and does not work for me.

THANK YOU!!

@Yisbel_Carrasco,

I know this isn't what you asked for but you can, also, use the finder with a different view (Column or Gallery View). This one button press (Create PDF) should help you in the meantime. This is how I perform this action.

KC

1 Like

I notice your contextual menu has a keyboard shortcut for Create PDF

Just wondering why you can’t get KM to press those keys for you…

2 Likes

Hi! I created that shortcut hoping to do exactly that, but it only works if you select the 2 files and right click first. I know how to open the folder and select the 2 files, but don't know how to do the right click, I've tried the mouse actions, but it never works for me, it always click somewhere else...... TY for taking a look at this!!

1 Like

Hi @Yisbel_Carrasco , you might want to try this macro that works on my Mac.

After selecting the pdf files trigger the macro and it will hopefully work. I took the AppleScript code from another posting in this forum here: Has Anyone Figured Out a Way to Replicate the Windows "Menu Key" on a Mac Using KM? - #10 by Zabobon and added the Quick Actions bit at the end.

Anyway, have a go and let us know!

Download Macro(s): Right Click Context Menu Finder.kmmacros (4.3 KB)

Macro-Image

Keyboard Maestro Export

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2
5 Likes

OMG, this works perfect!!! Thanks so much, Appreciate your help!!!!:sparkles:

1 Like

Can you mark it as a solution please, so others who come along in future will know! :blush:

1 Like

Done!! TY again!

1 Like

I should also point out that by replacing the text in the last two Type actions you can run most any command in the Finder contextual menu.

For instance, by using this text

• Sort By%Return%Name%Return%

you can make the files be sorted by name (duh).

Or this:

• Open in New Tab%Return%

which opens the currently selected folder in a new Finder tab.

Neither of these examples requires two Type actions, so you can delete one of them.

Hope that helps…

2 Likes

Thanks so much!! I would love to learn more about Apple script (how to write that long script WOW) to use in KM or any other software. Do you know of a beginner training or course that I can start with? TY!!!

Since you’re a fast learner :wink: you’ll have much less trouble than me with AppleScript! Honestly - I really do not like it as a programming language and if I don’t use it for a couple of days it seems like I have to learn it all over again! I get most of my AppleScript by researching this forum and the internet in general (that is ‘borrowing” from others).

Here’s a link to some stuff about AppleScript in this forum: Search results for 'Learning AppleScript ' - Keyboard Maestro Discourse

The first two hits are worth looking at as they’ll give you some pointers. There are plenty of books and other resources like Late Night Software, MacOS Automation and the Apple documentation.

There is a book I’ve used: the O’Reilly AppleScript: The Definitive Guide, Second Edition
by Matt Neuburg which is comprehensive.

If you’re serious about AppleScript you’ll need the best AppleScript IDE which is Script Debugger which you’ll also find at Late Night Software.

I could go on but you get the idea I hope.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! I will take a look at those resources!:pray:

I can't get this to work on my Mac. It selects the share option on right click. My language is set to Brazilian Portuguese, does it affect the macro?