Mac Sierra Problems

Hi
i use Mac os Sierra and latest KM before i ipgrade to Sierra i can start the Editor from Menu
Icon now if i try that i get a Message in log like this here:
Sep 27 20:29:33 Andres-MBP Keyboard Maestro Engine[59732]: Assertion Failed: CFCS(url->CopyLastPathComponent())->IsEqual( ((CFStringRef) __builtin___CFStringMakeConstantString ("" “Resources” “”)) ), file: /Users/peter/Keyboard Maestro/Project/Source/Utility/ApplicationURLs.mm:41, value: 0

I can start Editor when i start the KM App self but why i can´t tart editor at Menu ?
I try repair disk repair permissions remove all caches remove complete KM with all plist Files
but every time same after reinstall and register my copy i can´t start editor from Menu in Sierra OS

best

Andre

Hi here the Solution and why

Sierra have a new Feature named Sierra and Gatekeeper Path Randomization in short that will run any app that is downloaded and if you upgrade from el captain outside the applications Folder from a writhe protected invisible dmg file.
In my Problem the Engie was started in such invisible dmg File under private/var/folders/xxx if you have problems with one or more of your Apps take a closer look to activity monitor double click the running app go to Open Files and Ports and look if somewhere here is a path like private/var/folders/xxx if yes your app can’t work as normal.

But you can put all your Apps outside of quarantine with one Terminal command:

sudo find . -iname ‘*.app’ -print0 | xargs -0 xattr -d com.apple.quarantine

you will get a lot of errors for Apps that doesn’t have bee in quarantine but that is no problem after command is ready
you see that when normal promo is back all your Apps working normal

best

Andre

5 Likes

This is a interesting article.

How to Allow Apps from Anywhere in macOS Sierra Gatekeeper

Cheers ヅ,
Bill 

Hi Bill
yes but it has no Effect if you Upgrade from Captain than if you do that
you see every time that Button
but it does not work i have here in my Network round about 25 Macs over
10 have Sierra now and mostly everyone
have a diffrent reaction when i download dmg Files.

Over 5 of them set for every Download the quarantine bit but never
remove it than you get apps that looks like work normal
but some functions does not work mosztly the Auto Update and some
daemons like the Keybord Maestro one
The Deamon start than under private/var/foldersxxx on a readonly dmg
File that could not work.

best

Andre

1 Like

Hi
i check against that “Feature” and believe me for me that feature was a real Problem not all my Apps are in Applications Folder and i use many Apps for Administration and Security Engineering many of that Apps was started with quarantine
bit on
Here on my Mac that Security Feature does absolutely not what it should do, i am very angry with Apple that they have not made a Option in Preferences to disable such Idiotic Features, Security is sitting in front of Laptop not in Software and never in a Operating System i need nobody to shield me i need 100 % control over my Hard and Software.

For now i have a Solution but if next OS brings more from that “Features” Sierra was my last OS on Mac Hardware i can go without Problems to a BDS Clone.

best

Andre

1 Like

I believe that if you simply move Keyboard Maestro.app to a different folder, that will undo the randomisation facility.

Note that this is only a problem because the system decided that Keyboard Maestro.app was ok, but that the Keyboard Maestro Engine.app was not, and so randomised the latter. If it randomises the former, it’s not an issue.

In any event, as far as I am aware, moving the app should resolve it, but then again, maybe moving Keyboard Maestro.app would not resolve Keyboard Maestro Engine.app within it. Who knows with Apple’s weird security systems.

1 Like

Hi,
yes put Apps to folders other than Aplications can resolve that Problem.
On 4 of my 10 Mac´s with Sierra that works mostly but not every time
it feels that this Feature have never reached a Beta status and is be in
early alpha.

I disabled Gatekeeper now completly and remove the quarantine bit from
all executables
in some of my Systems nearly all Apps after Sierra Upgrade was in
quaratine only apple own ones
start normal.

If somone here want to know if a App started in Quarantaine Mode is easy
start Activity Monitor
search your app double click the app than go to tab files and open ports
here you see a list
of open Files if you found any path that start with
private/var/folders… this App or some
pices of that app are in quarantaine mode .
That mean that this app can´t writhe to that quarataine dmg file and
things like Auto Update or others
will not work.

I made a Folder watcher (normaly not needet with gatekeeper off but
double fight line )for hole App Folder
if i move somthing here KM automaticly runs a Anti Quarantaine Script
for me for such things KM is very helpfull :wink:

best

Andre

Version 7.3.1 reports when it detects it is running in App Translocation which should hopefully clear this issue up.

1 Like

Hi peternlewis
that is very helpful i hope other App Developers will do same mechanism in there own Apps
The OS Update last night removed my modifications and restore Gatekeeper process but for now
i found no Issues maybe it works now.

best

Andre

It works! Thank you sooo much Andre!