MACRO: Import Quick Macro

##MACRO: Import Quick Macro

UPDATED Version 1.0.1: If the first action is a Semaphore (which it probably is), it is deleted before importing the Quick Macro. The Semaphore action is used by the recording process, and not needed in the macro.

Import Quick Macro.v1.0.1.kmmacros (11.8 KB)

Imports the current Quick Macro (if any) into the Global Macro Group. It will be named "Quick Macro - Imported".

4 Likes

Dan, I’m sure this is great, but I have no idea what you are talking about.
Could you please add more details, and define “Quick Macro”?

Thanks.

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/action/Record_Quick_Macro

This is great Dan, I just created a keyboard shortcut for it in Keyboard Maestro. There have been many times I would have loved to use this but did the longer method of creating a macro and then recording and running the “Quick Macro” but I don’t always want to run it to record it. Nice work!

What’s the logic for the added Semiphore lock at the start? Is that to keep the Quick Macro from getting hung up?

Thanks!

What’s the logic for the added Semaphore lock at the start? Is that to keep the Quick Macro from getting hung up?

Honestly, I don’t know. Your guess sounds reasonable to me. I actually didn’t even notice it, because the quick macro I tested with had dozens of actions, so I just ignored all of them.

The semaphore just ensures that if the macro is triggered multiple times, it will play back multiple times in succession not overlapping.

So for example, say you record a quick macro “Hello There[return]” and then triggered the quick macro five times. Without the semaphore, you’d get something like “HHHHHeeeeellllllllllooooo…” (well, it would never be that neat, but you get the idea). The semaphore just ensures that the first triggered macro is completed before the second instance runs.

Thanks Peter.

To piggy back off that with the Key Repeat in the Quick Macro, after experimenting I noticed the speed of the retrigger go off the setting in System Preferences:Keyboard:Key Repeat. Maybe @JMichaelTX can add that to the documentation.
That may seem obvious but Keyboard Maestro could somehow have a hack (though I know thankfully you don’t do those) to set it’s own key repeat speed for the Quick Macro in preferences or set elsewhere. Plus it was completely clear what the check-box would do anyway. I know I am dense.

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/action/Record_Quick_Macro

Yes, the repeat times for “while pressed” triggered macros including the quick macro is based on the system preference key repeat times.

That does not work for me, it allways imports the same macro, allthough I record different quick macros. Any suggestions?

No idea. It works for me, and I used it just recently.