MACRO: [KMFAM] Favorite Actions and Macros v1.4 Released 2021-12-09

MACRO: [KMFAM] Favorite Actions and Macros

New Version 1.4

Features:

• New Installer! Solves the problem of running it from the Downloads folder and having it fail.
  • If you have a prior version of KMFAM, the new installer will also retain your hotkeys, if you changed them.
  • Fixed all window position issues.
  • Now uses Local and Instance variables, so it doesn't clutter up your KM variable space. The previous version had a nasty tendency to leave a large variable. Not any more!
  • Fixed issue with not being able to launch the Options and Edit window from the Select window.
  • Removed the custom icons from the macros. They take up space, and theoretically can slow down KM a little.

Installation Instructions

KMFAM v1.4.zip (389.6 KB)

1. If you have a prior version, you don't need to delete the previous version. The new installer handles everything.
  2. Download and unzip the file.
  3. Double-click the file "KMFAM Macros Installer v1.4.kmmacros" to install it in KM.
  4. Enable the macro "KMFAM Macros Installer v1.4".
  5. Run the macro "KMFAM Macros Installer v1.4" and follow the instructions.

Notes:

• If you have existing favorite actions and macros, they're safe. The new version will use them with no issues.
  • If you want the old icons back, you can get them from here - instructions are in the comments:
    KMFAM Icons.kmmacros.zip (63.1 KB)

Export to KM v10's Native Favorite Actions

Create a library of your favorite actions...

...customized just how you like them, and insert them with a couple of keystrokes. Add new favorite actions with ease, and add custom keywords to make searching for them a snap.

Rather that waste any more words, please see this Demo/Tutorial video:

54 Likes

Dan this is amazing, has Peter seen this or know that you have been putting this together? Welcome to Keyboard Maestro 8 or at least 7.5! I will be using this all the time, I already use your shortcuts for adding actions from the clipboard almost exclusively now. I love that you can add in your own search terms, that is so helpful when lists get long, we don’t have to depending on Peter reading our minds and typing in all the keywords we would have added to an action. Updating the screenshot of it too is over the top. In complete awe like I am with Keyboard Maestro.

3 Likes

I'm kind of proud of that, actually. I'm certain it has some bugs in it that will surface, but I'll deal with that as it comes.

Peter hasn't seen it, because I just uploaded it. But as I've told Peter on several occasions, he's welcome to steal any of my ideas and incorporate them into KM. Even though I spent a lot of time on this one, I wouldn't mind at all. I mean, I'm retired. What else do I have to do? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

So I have been playing around with this and I have 3 questions so far.

1. If I choose my dropbox folder for my preferences for this would I run into conflict issues with two computers accessing those files or would the remain synced? Of course right now with it not saved in my dropbox though the actions show up they are not on my other computers and asks me to specify the location of the Resources Folder "KMFAM Resources"

2. For some reason the actions that are saved are not pasting into another macro when I press F15 but rather executing the other macro action. Different then what I am seeing happening in the video https://youtu.be/it8Ni-t0RMo?t=3m22s

3. Not a big deal on this one but the images are all chopped off and small. Again no biggy on that one since that is just icing on the cake.

4.Why the heck has no one posted a reply to this yet?! They must all be playing with it or they apparently have something better to do on a Friday. I am anxious and excited to hear what people say about this and I didn't even do a single bit of work on the darn thing.

1 Like

That should work just fine.

You're using "Add Macro" instead of "Add Action". That's also why the images in #3 look the way they do. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks. I feel that way sometimes myself. Truth is, Fridays are a bad time to post something like this. Not much action on the board. But yes, it would be nice if more than 2 people had downloaded the zip file. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Dan,

Very impressive! I’ll play with it when I get through my task-list.

The vid was well done too.

-Chris

2 Likes

Added an animated GIF to the first post.

Hey Dan,

Still running Yosemite I get (JXA change?):

-Alain

Dang, I forgot about that. Try this and let me know if it fixes the problem. If so, I'll upload a new version.

[deleted]

A little improvement as now KM itself is speaking :wink:

This is turning out to be harder than I thought.

I found a computer with Yosemite, so at least I can test. But it may take awhile.

What version Yosemite do you have?

I’m giving up. There’s too many issues for me to feel comfortable trying to work around all of them.

I’ll change the initial post to say that El Capitan is required.

Sorry.

Dan,
Can’t thank you enough for these macros. They will save all of us an enormous amount of time.

1 Like

:scream: you lost at least one user… only for KMFAM Macro :wink:

Thanks anyway Dan for maturing all spirits in KM software systematic development (yes),
-Alain

I almost never give up, when presented with a challenge like this. And who knows, maybe I’ll take another stab at it again, after I think about it for awhile.

But if you really wanted to help, you could… upgrade to El Capitan!

Just kidding. I’m sure you have good reasons.

Of course I couldn’t let it go. I just uploaded version 1.0.1 (in the first post), which should work just fine on Yosemite. At least it does on my wife’s Yosemite MacBook Pro.

Let me know how it works for you. Thanks.

2 Likes

Wow, that is very impressive.

I think I’ll just retire now and leave further development to @DanThomas

Amazing.

8 Likes

Seriously, even if I had released a version of Keyboard Maestro that supports this sort of thing, I don’t think I would have been nearly as thorough as @DanThomas. Blown away.

8 Likes

Wow! High praise. Thank you.

But none of it would matter, or even be possible, without KM. So I don’t think it’s quite time for you to retire just yet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Dan,

Cannot wait to say it works (of course) now like a charm under Yosemite too :+1:

Thanks a lot for your support even of sparse Yosemite users. One of your best “customer” can stay with you :relieved:

I can confirm: very impressive…

PS: I notice that your wife has good reasons to run Yosemite too :smiley: