MACRO: Renumber Macro Prefix Numbers

Renumber Macro Prefix Numbers v1.0

Renumber Macro Prefix Numbers.v1.0.kmmacros (69.9 KB)

Got a palette that looks like this, and you need some room for another prefix number?

Then do this:

Then this:

To get this:

Or even do this:

To have some room to grow, like this:

Full undo is supported, so if you make a mistake (or heaven forbid, I made a mistake), you're covered. All renaming is done by the editor, so it's just like you typed really fast. Really, really fast.

12 Likes

God, Dan. This takes me back, way, way back to the original Basic, where you had to number all your lines. Don't guess you know anything about that? LOL

2 Likes

Basic, and COBOL. Yep, I was thinking the same thing. The nice thing about this macro is, you don't have to do that!

That is one outstanding piece of work! Thank you, you just saved me a lot of skull thumping trying to do something similar

1 Like

Awesome! Personally, I think it’s pretty cool too. So It’s nice to know someone else thinks so also. :slight_smile:

I have yet to start using numbers but hope to get to that soon. Can you do a GIF to demo some of your workflows or at least how your menu displays and how you execute 1 or 2 Macros?

I've been thinking about doing a tutorial on KM Palettes, so perhaps now's the time.

Regarding the numbers: If you start a macro name with 2 numbers and a close paren, i.e. "20)", Keyboard Maestro uses them to sort the items in the Palette, and it doesn't show the numbers in the Palette.

So:

becomes:

danThomasOld

(I know this is a large palette. I work with KM maximized on my main monitor, and this palette is on the left edge of my second monitor. I know it's strange, but somehow, I think this palette looks beautiful. Go figure.)

I'll stopped writing here because I could fill a book. It's time to start scripting a tutorial, and getting down to work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I was aware. I just haven't tried it yet. I know it doesn't take much time but I try to keep my experiments confined to specific sessions otherwise I go down the rabbit hole on tangents and then realize I was working on something else and got nothing done. Heh! So I try and stay focused.

FILL THE BOOK!!
Hey I am ok with reading more.

So... I've seen something about adding icons. So I know I can add my own icons. I'll have to try it and see how that works. I guess what I am confused about is: Are these palettes floating or do I have to call them?

Wait for the movie. :wink:

Keep asking me questions like this. It will help me create a better video.

(Someone else will probably jump in and answer these questions, and I'll let them, to see what they say, and to not get too sidetracked myself.)

I find long palettes a mixed blessing. Please see a new discussion:

This is great Dan thanks for sharing, I can sort by date created and then easily renumber things that wouldn’t sort alphabetically. I’ll likely be using quite often plus it helps me to see how to increment numbers. I have multiple things that I am trying to figure out how to add a number the first time and then the next time I run it have it increment by one each time it is run again for files I need to rename. This should get me started.

1 Like

Wonderful techniques to use line numbering like that.
I’ve started using it.
And added “-------” to make pallet easier to read.
Thank you, Dan.

Yeah, I do that too. Very helpful.

Thank you, Dan.

You're quite welcome!

So Dan [@DanThomas] do I actually type “20” once I have triggered the palette, for example using a macro I have prepended with “20)”?

Where do you get all your icons? I know I can find some but there’s never enough. :slight_smile:

Now I am off to read @JMichaelTX’s “Long Palettes vs Find/Trigger Macro by Name” thread.

No, those numbers are for ordering only.

Where do you get all your icons? I know I can find some but there's never enough.

I agree. I get them from doing Google image searches, then often times I take multiple images and combine them to create something else. I can't draw, but I know how to combine. :slight_smile:

A tip for searching using Google Images. Use the Search Tools option, then select "Transparent" in colors.

2 Likes

I've searched by color before but never thought of "transparent". Perhaps you should do a video on that as well. LOL!

What software do you use to combine them?

How do you restrict search to square images (ideally, multiple of 32x32)? And if no square, how do you crop?

I have various graphics manipulation tools, but I am interested in what you do.

I use GIMP to manipulate the images, although I have to say that GIMP doesn’t play well with Mac programs that manipulate the clipboard, including Keyboard Maestro. But if you avoid trying to do a “copy” from GIMP, then it works fine.

So, I grab images in whatever size they come, bring them into GIMP, and manipulate them. You don’t actually have to make them square or shrink their sizes, but it works best if you do. I think 64x64, or perhaps it’s 48x48 - I don’t remember, are the best sizes.

I use Pixelmator for image manipulation. It is not free, but I find it reliable and useful, and therefore worth of its price. It does have a 30-day free trial, though.

I have to say that even with the clipboard issue, GIMP is massively useful. It’s basically Photoshop for free. And it’s so easy to find answers using Google.

I also use GIMP to do my animated GIFs. It produces the smallest file sizes, and highest quality animated GIFs of anything I’ve tried.

PS: The clipboard issue is this: You can do one copy from GIMP. The next copy will crash it. Unless KM isn’t running, in which case it won’t crash unless you have another clipboard manager running. But everything else works great. Did I mention free? :slight_smile: Yes, I’m a huge GIMP fan, and have been for many, many years.