MACRO: Renumber Macro Prefix Numbers

What software do you use to combine them?

How do you restrict search to square images (ideally, multiple of 32x32)? And if no square, how do you crop?

I have various graphics manipulation tools, but I am interested in what you do.

I use GIMP to manipulate the images, although I have to say that GIMP doesn’t play well with Mac programs that manipulate the clipboard, including Keyboard Maestro. But if you avoid trying to do a “copy” from GIMP, then it works fine.

So, I grab images in whatever size they come, bring them into GIMP, and manipulate them. You don’t actually have to make them square or shrink their sizes, but it works best if you do. I think 64x64, or perhaps it’s 48x48 - I don’t remember, are the best sizes.

I use Pixelmator for image manipulation. It is not free, but I find it reliable and useful, and therefore worth of its price. It does have a 30-day free trial, though.

I have to say that even with the clipboard issue, GIMP is massively useful. It’s basically Photoshop for free. And it’s so easy to find answers using Google.

I also use GIMP to do my animated GIFs. It produces the smallest file sizes, and highest quality animated GIFs of anything I’ve tried.

PS: The clipboard issue is this: You can do one copy from GIMP. The next copy will crash it. Unless KM isn’t running, in which case it won’t crash unless you have another clipboard manager running. But everything else works great. Did I mention free? :slight_smile: Yes, I’m a huge GIMP fan, and have been for many, many years.

Depending on whether you consider the use of icons in KM macros commercial use, and maybe even if you don't, it is worth noting that many icons located by a Google image search are copyrighted. and should not be used without permission. (And attribution is not permission.)

I appreciate the information. However, for my usages, I’m not particularly worried. Especially since every single image I have ever used for icons was available from many, many different sites.

If anyone were ever going to accuse me of copyright violation, that’s the least likely place they would do it. See most of the videos on my YouTube Channel for more information. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, I just noticed that one of the options in Google Image Search Tools is Usage Rights.

Pixelmator is extremely useful and has a feature set that is perfect for 85% of my every-day use-cases. It’s part of what I would call the Standard Set for raster image processing on the Mac:

It is not free,

Heck, of course it is not free :wink:. Why should it?

I like free software, up until the point where a paid alternative is easier for me to use, or better suits my needs. I'm more than happy to pay for software that makes my life easier. :slight_smile:

OK, you say ImageMagick makes your life less easy. Yes, that sensation is not completely unfamiliar to me :wink:

I’ve actually never used it. I’ll try it tonight.

Don’t blame me if your life becomes worse :wink: (Joking, it’s great for any kind of image manipulation that you do more than once.)

Recently I’ve hacked together an AppleScript that does some simple (but nice) things via ImageMagick. May serve as a showcase or as starting point:

IM-Screenshot-Prettifier.scpt.zip (21.6 KB)

(For the script to work you need to have ImageMagick in /usr/local/bin, as well as the other two dependencies mentioned at the beginning of the script.)

To make full usage of the script launch it with this KM macro: IM-Screenshot-Prettifier.kmmacros (3.4 KB)

Dan's tips about macro prefix numbers have been very useful to me.

Besides numbers, I started using A-Z, too.
And that's working smoothly in my intentional use of the conflict pallet (example below).

The sorting sequence puts numbers on top, which neatly organizes the pallet.
Easy to hit just one key -- number or letter -- to run the desired macro.
No mousing around.

(Nice to see some COBOL and BASIC "old boys" here. Me, too. Punch cards, even, also with leading numbers.)

1 Like

Does it fill in the holes on the punch cards or punch new cards?

It punches virtual holes. :slight_smile:

I think you will have a lot of "hanging chads". LOL

Is there a macro for batch numbering macros (as opposed to REnumbering)? Thank you!

This does both:

1 Like

Amazing!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

@DanThomas This is glorious. Thank you!!!

2 Likes