Macro that inserts pasted styled text w/o changing font family?

I'm trying to create a macro that pastes an italicized V into a Word document, without changing the font family and size (Cambria 12). I'm also trying to create one that pastes an italicized Cp (where the p is subscripted), likewise without changing the font family and size.

I tried using Insert Styled Text by Pasting. I copied and pasted my Cambria 12 italicized/subscripted text into each of the two macros. The macros do preserve the italics and subscript, but don't preserve the original font family, instead changing it to Helvetica 12.

I searched the KM6 documentation (that's the most recent, right) for "font", and the closest I was able to find were instructions on applying a font to a named clipboard. But I'm not trying to create a named clipboard. Or is that the only workaround and, if so, how would that work?

I would use MS Word VBA macro to do both of those. Easy to program (just record it), and easy to use.

Questions?

I take it from your suggestion to use VBA that this is not something readily done in KM. Is that correct?

No, it's not that. IMO, it is just better, faster, easier to do in VBA.
I always try to pick the best tool for the job.

Dealing with rich text (styled text) is not KM's strong suit. It can do it, but sometimes the interaction with the app does not produce the desired results. Remember, both KM and the app control what is ultimately pasted into the app's document.

Understood, but I've never used VBA, so that would be one more new thing to learn, and I've got a lot on my plate right now. So, if there is a straightforward way to create a KM macro for rich text, I'd like to at least give it a try and see if it works.

If you tried the Insert Styled Text by Pasting and it did not work, then you could try:
Apply Style to Clipboard action, and then paste.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.