MACRO: Variable Inspector Prompt and Dictionary Editor v3.2

I see the difference. I think I would settle for reformatting if that cleans up the mess. But I was hoping for rendering. And I would also settle for a button that opens a browser so that the rendering is done there.

As I said, I have lots of variables that contain HTML, and reading raw HTML is a pain. I can't remember what all these variables are storing. So anything at all that you can provide would help.

Wouldn't a button to open the variable in a browser be fairly trivial?

I... don't actually know. Maybe - it depends on what the browser does with partial HTML snippets.

Can you post a few examples? I'm guessing you know to to do that, but if not, put 3 backticks on a line by itself, then paste the HTML below it, and end with a line of 3 backticks. (```)

I just browsed through all my global and dictionary variables on this Mac, and didn't find any. I guess that means I must be using Local Variables for my HTML (probably obtained through curl statements), due to good programming practices, so I'm hereby withdrawing my request. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Hey, Dan.

I was inspecting the variables in a macro with Accessed Variables set to 1 and the other options left blank, and I was surprised to see over 160 variables accessed. After some troubleshooting, there seems to be something funky going on with the Custom Floating HTML Prompt action.

I set up a new macro with only two actions 1) a blank Custom Floating HTML Prompt action, 2) a Variable Inspector Prompt action:

The inspector shows 162 variables. Am I missing something?

Hey @evanfuchs, there is a known “bug” where if you use a custom prompt, and then use the accessed variables token it returns every single variable in your database. There’s a thread floating around somewhere that discusses it but I can’t remember where right now.

EDIT: Found it

See this post Dan Thomas replied to me on as well.

2 Likes

Ah man! I searched around a bit before posting because I vaguely remembered kinda sorta maybe something about that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2 Likes

Holy cow @DanThomas , this is amazing. Thanks very much :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi Dan, sometime in the not-too-distant past I started seeing a sizing issue on the Inspector. Namely, it does not save any adjustments I had previously made to it's location and size, and whenever reducing it's height the buttons disappear.

I perused the topic here and downloaded the most recent version but the issue still persists. I thought you had helped me with this issue in the past but I'm not seeing anywhere in this topic about it.

Attached is a screen recording in case that helps. Any ideas where I can start to debug the issue?

Screen Recording (click to expand/collapse)

Screen Recording 2022-09-07 at 07.17.45

My guess is that somewhere in your macro, you set the size or position manually. Or else you're deleting or resetting the DND__VipAppData variable somewhere.

1 Like

Ok I realized my error. I had forgotten that it saves it's current position to the DND__ variable upon closing... and since I'm having that issue where the Reload and Done buttons disappear when reducing it's height I never clicked Done after resizing... so it was never updating it's size.

I was able to change the size/location now. I do still have the disappearing buttons issue but it's not a big deal.

1 Like

Not sure why the buttons are disappearing, but at least you figured out the position issue.

1 Like

I used this for the first time today. Very slick! Easy to use and helped me clean up the mess I made from my early scripts before I learned of local and instance variable. Thank you for creating and sharing this.

1 Like

Done.

1 Like