Map the Return key to left_control only when it’s held down

Does anyone know how I can map the Return key to the left_control only when it’s held down on Keyboard Maestro? Any insight is much appreciated. It seems that you cannot map to hot keys.

Thanks

Can you clarify?

• you’d like to hold down the left control, and have the return key pressed?
  • you’d like to hold down the left control, and have the return key pressed repeatedly?
  • something else?

Thanks

@cfriend Thank you for the response. I want to hold the return key, and have the left control pressed. See this article.

I’m not sure if KM can specify left control vs. right control but I’ll look… also someone else will likely answer more authoritatively before I return. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Just to clarify, left or right control is not important here. I just want return key to be mapped to the control modifier key. Sorry for the confusion.

Remapping keys like this is generally below the level at which Keyboard Maestro operates.

Tools like Karibiner (previously called KeyRemap4MacBook as described in the linked article) are more appropriate, however Karibiner currently does not work under Sierra.

@peternlewis Thank you. I was pretty happy with Karabiner before updating to Sierra. Like you said, unfortunately Karabiner is not compatible with Sierra yet. That is why I am looking for an alternative.

You can already download the Sierra-compatible Karabiner Elements. They call it a “subset of the next generation Karabiner for macOS Sierra”.

According to the Readme it already supports “Simple key modification (change keys to another keys)”. Maybe this is enough for your purpose?

There is an article here that shows how to get an approximation of the Hyper Key using Karabiner Elements and Keyboard Maestro’s Conflict Palette.