Microsoft Edge Control

Can we have a new group of Actions similar to the "Google Chrome Control" group but for Microsoft Edge? The action I most would like to have is "New Microsoft Edge Window". This is so that I get a new browser window in a Mac "space" and not activate an existing browser window in another space. I generally like it for the Mac to switch the space to where an application is running. However, for the browser (and also for iTerm), I'd like a new window in the current space.

Hey Thomas,

Welcome to the forum!  :sunglasses:

Not really...

Small user base, and the functionality already exists in the front-browser actions and tokens.

If you desperately want an Edge-specific set you can redirect the Google Chrome stuff to Edge using a expert preference:

manual:Preferences [Keyboard Maestro Wiki]

Change which Chrome-based Browser will be targeted by the various Keyboard Maestro “Chrome Related” Actions, Tokens, and Functions.

Spaces are controlled by macOS, and Apple does not provide public API's to allow apps like Keyboard Maestro to control them...

-Chris

You're right. I discovered today that the New Front Browser Window functionality already does what I want.

Thanks for the reply, ccstone.

Actually, it doesn't work. Despite having set System Settings ... > Privacy & Security > Automation > Keyboard Maestro > Microsoft Edge - slider switch ON, running New Front Browser Window pops up a system security dialog with the message

"Keyboard Maestro" wants access to control "Microsoft Edge". Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in "Microsoft Edge", and to perform actions within that app.

There are two button in the dialog box: Don't Allow and OK. Neither buttons work. Only logging out will get rid of the dialog. I think this is a MacOS bug.

The bloody macOS permissions are indeed buggy (since Mojave at least).

It's just incredible that Apple has chosen NOT to fix them and make them bombproof...

You may want to consider this:

tccutil reset Accessibility com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine
Did not work.
However, this did work:
Create a shell script...

#!/bin/zsh
cd /Applications/Microsoft\ Edge.app/Contents/MacOS
./Microsoft\ Edge > /dev/null 2>&1

Then in KM, use an "Execute Shell Script" action with "ignore results" set, giving the path to the shell script.

The downside of doing this is that new instances of the Edge icon appear on the dock each time this is invoked.

It's generally not a good idea to run multiple instances of the same app on macOS...

I created 20 Edge windows with the new KM shortcut and it only created two new icons on the dock. As new ones appear, the existing ones were "rolled off". You could see the roll-off animation Haha. I looked at Activity Monitor during all this and it appeared that there was only one instance throughout.

Anyhow, seeing that the number of icons created was limited to two in the dock, I'm not concerned about the extra clutter.