Mouse – Control-Click on a Finder Window's Title?

Is it possible to get a mouse click, control click to be exact, on the window title, regardless of the window size? Thanks in advance.

First question would be, why do you want to do this?

If you really do need to:

1 Like

Thank you! Your suggestion greatly appreciated. In a large monitor it is more useful, for me, to get there with a macro, for seeing parent directories.

You may already know this, but I always "Show Path Bar" -- as well as showing you (most of) the path you can Ctrl- or Right-Click any item in the path to open it in a tab, new window, etc.

3 Likes

Thank you for this tip!

Hey Antonio,

I keep the Path-Bar open in Finder windows, so I can tell at a glance where something is (unless the path is too long of course).

• See at the bottom of the window above the status-bar.

I also have the Path button in the window toolbar, so I can use an AppleScript like this to open its menu:

--------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2022/10/04 21:46
# dMod: 2022/10/04 21:46 
# Appl: Finder, System Events
# Task: Open The Front Finder Window's Path Button's Menu.
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Test: Tested only on macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.
# Tags: @Applescript, @Script, @Finder, @System_Events, @Open, @Window, @Toolbar, @Path, @Button, @Menu

tell application "System Events"
   tell application process "Finder"
      tell (first window whose subrole is "AXStandardWindow")
         tell toolbar 1
            tell group 3
               tell menu button 1
                  perform action "AXShowMenu"
               end tell
            end tell
         end tell
      end tell
   end tell
end tell

Note that this works with my Finder set-up on Mojave and may require adjustment for earlier or later versions of macOS.

The script pops open the menu, and from there I can type-select to access items in the menu or hit the Escape key to exit.

Note – I tried really hard to find a way to use the title-bar to do this – but apparently the requisite object does not exist until you manually control-click the window title with the mouse – and as far as I can see this object is never exposed to System Events.

-Chris

2 Likes

Quick one: what's the difference between AXShowMenu and click in this context?

Hey Neil,

I'm not aware that there's any functional difference in this context – except that AXShowMenu tells you explicitly what it's going to do and click does not.

I suppose it's possible to jury-rig a modifier key-down condition to work with a click that might not work with AXShowMenu, but I'm conjecturing and haven't put it to the test.

-Chris

1 Like

Having never seen it written down before, and being from the UK where you'll seldom hear it, I always assumed this was "Jerry-rig". I learned something. :+1:t3:

"Jerry-rig" or "Jerry-rigged" are valid synonyms.

There's also a very un-politically-correct version starting with the letter "n".

And then there's the ever popular "southern engineered".

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you very much, Chris!

Thank you again, the menu button is there, in my older Os (I have an old MacPro with Sierra), but it seems to have disappeared, due to the new window design in Monterey (on my MacBook Pro), unless there is some option to enable it.

Right-click and select Customise Toolbar..., then drag the button to the bar.

2 Likes

Thanks, I forgot this option.

1 Like