Pause until ... mouse is clicked

I’m a long time KM user without extensive skills because my needs are limited to a small subset of KM’s capabilities.

So this question came up that I haven’t encountered before. The problem is simple:

1. activate an application “XYZ”
  2. display a message reminding the user to find and click an item in a list in XYZ
  3. pause until the user locates and clicks an item in a long list
  4. select a menu item which will work with the clicked item.

1, 2 and 4 above are easy to do.

#3, however, I cannot figure out. “Pause until … [the mouse is clicked]” seems to be the solution, but KM does not seem to allow pausing until the mouse is clicked. KM will wait for many other events, but not, from what I see, a random mouse click. (Using Pause for N seconds is hit and miss, because it may take from about 1 to 15 seconds to locate the item.)

How do I get KM to wait until the mouse is clicked?

Thanks for any advice.

A technique I have often used in situations like this is "Pause Until Key is Down AND Modifiers are Pressed". I've used OPT-RETURN with much success.

After clicking your mouse, you just press OPT-RETURN (or any other keystroke you choose).

that’s a solution, with another keystroke involved, - it’s better than nothing, but it really would be grand if there was a trigger that was ‘wait until mouse is clicked’ - I used it all the time in the other software. - that said, KM completely, completely rocks above and beyond the ‘other’ software. -
FYI - it also had the ability to sense the speed and direction (X,Y) of the mouse and you could use that as a trigger also (with or without modifier keys), very handy.

See:

1 Like

I hope it's ok to post my question here since it's a similar question:

Is there a way to pause a macro until the mouse is double-clicked? I'm trying to automate something that needs to wait until I open a comp in After Effects (by double-clicking).

Thanks!