Placing Downloads Window

Hi,

I have made a macro for placing my downloads window to the right contiously without the toolbar, however, in doing so i get an error message each time it tries to use the select menu function, is it possible to avoid it?

The macro activates from the finder being activates, checks if its, the downloads window, and (if true) then places the window according to specific coordinates, and then uses the "Select Menu" to push the "Hide Toolbar" button. Finder switches automatically between hide and show toolbar, which is why there is an error. However, the goal is avoiding the error message. Is that even possible?

Mac OS 11.1
Keyboard Maestro 9.2

If Then Else.kmactions (2.0 KB)

Hey Jens,

That doesn't always work for me. I had to move the Hide Sidebar select-menu action before the resize window action.

The simplest way to do what you want is to use the gear-menu in the select-menu action to turn OFF “Failure Aborts Macro” and “Notify on Failure”.

The other methods are:

1) Use an AppleScript

tell application "Finder"
   set winList to windows whose name is "Downloads"
   if length of winList = 1 then
      tell (get item 1 of winList)
         if sidebar width ≠ 0 then
            set sidebar width to 0
         end if
      end tell
   end if
end tell

2) Use a IF-THEN with a menu condition and check the path of the Hide Sidebar menu item.

Personally I'd use AppleScript for everything, because it's faster than Keyboard Maestro – but you have to know how of course.

-Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your work - it is much appreciated!

As new as I am to Keyboard Maestro I didn't know there was a “Notify on Failure” button. That being said, I have noticed the versatility of AppleScripts, which I really want to get in to, however I find the 100 dollars for a proper IDE is a tall order. But I'll have to get it sometime.

Best Regards
Jens

It used to be priced at $199.95 USD...  :sunglasses:

In any case – download the demo and use it. It reverts to Lite mode after 30 days (IIRC) – that's free and still worlds above Apple's Script Editor.app.

-Chris

1 Like