Please Help Customize a Macro

No -- it's me talking complete &^%$*&^!!

You're right -- a quick test shows the "key down" trigger will fire the macro repeatedly whilst the key is held down (just like the manual says). What stops this behaviour is when you send a simulated keystroke that is the same as the trigger. That simulated keystroke is "interrupting" the key down so it no longer registers. My macro gets round that the right way, but my explanation why was rubbish :frowning:

Here's a simple demo -- try as-is and you'll get repeated beeps, enable the "Keystroke" action and you'll only get one (whether you get repeated deletion will depend on your keyboard settings, but if you do that is not because of the macro but because the key press is being passed straight through to the active app). Change the keystroke to eg D and you get repeated beeps again and the repeatedly-typed D because there's no clash between hot key and simulated key stroke.

Key Repeat Test.kmmacros (1.9 KB)

Ahhh, now even I understand it, thanks Nige. :grinning:

And I should have known it (stupid me), because KM's behavior is analogous to BTT's behavior. There it is called "recursive trigger". If a key simulates itself (Delete = Delete), then key repeat doesn't work. The trick in BTT is to remove the "recursivity". So in this example Delete = shift Delete. The result is the same, just without recursivity.

I tried this with KM, but surprisingly (or not) it doesn't work here.

Anyway, it's always a pleasure to interact with you. If I knew only half as much about KM as I do about BTT, I wouldn't have to get on your nerves all the time. :wink:

Why actually does that not work with KM? The trigger is not what it simulates.