Possible Bug with setting Preference Variables

I have a variable that is already set and being used in KBM.

I am trying to update the value of that variable, but it's not being saved.

It's remembering the old value.

Using keyboard maestro: 7.3.1 on 10.11.6 El Capitan.

It works for me using Keyboard Maestro 7.3.1 (7.3.1) on macOS 10.11.6.

Please post the steps to reproduce.
Your animated GIF is moving too fast for me to follow.

Here's my example:

That’s a classic response of “works on my machine” ( ha )

I will restart it, and see what happens.

Use your “Test Add New Var” in a script ( insert variable by typing for example (, then go back to the preferences, and update the value. See if actually changes. That’s the only explanation so far.

In my gif I am editing the variable called PASSWORD It has a string value of “password” which can’t be changed. I try and change to another variable to see if PASSWORD updates. It doesn’t.

Then I create a new variable called new_password. That default value for that is strangely “password”.

I try to change the value of new_password, but as you can see it doesn’t change. It stays as “password”

Thank you for taking the time and recording a response.

Simon

That's because it is. I didn't just say it, I tested it as you can see from my GIF.
I've done what you asked thousands of times by now. Since no changes have been made to KM in months, I can virtually guarantee you that KM is working properly.

Another classic response is do the obvious, standard troubleshooting:

1. Restart KM Editor
  2. Restart KM Engine
  3. Restart your Mac

Just for the record, what ver of KM and macOS are you running?
I'm running Keyboard Maestro 7.3.1 (7.3.1) on macOS 10.11.6.

If you have a macro that is not working properly, please post it, and state exactly what is wrong.

See

I can confirm the behavior the OP describes in KM 7.3.1 on macOS 10.12.6. I don’t know if this is a bug or by design, but it seems that any variable with “password” in its title has a default value of “Password” that cannot be changed. @sidouglas, try changing your variable names so that they do not include “password” (could be “passwrd”, “pass”, or something else altogether) and see if that doesn’t resolve your issue.

Variables that start or end with "password" are considered password variables (see the Variables user manual section).

They are never stored in the variables file, and therefore cannot be set in the Preferences.

Variables with names that start or end with “Password” or “PW” are considered passwords – their values will not be stored (except in memory) and they cannot be read directly by shell scripts or AppleScripts, though their consequences can easily be extracted, eg with the Set Clipboard to Text action. The Prompt For User Input dialog will display such variables in a password field.

In 8.0, they would never appear in the preferences pane, and if you try to create one in the Variables preferences, it would turn red:

1 Like

Well then, there you go. Intended.

I will rename the variable.

Thank you for the help!