Programmable Macro Trigger Device Options

For that money you can get a second hand Stream Deck in mint condition on eBay. Just sayin'.

1 Like

I agree with @noisneil. If someone wants an additional device, then certainly a stream deck. This "thing" isn't even a bad copy. :man_shrugging:

Welp, you just cost me $69. Also, from what I can tell they DO have MacOS software.

Cherry MX Blue..

FWIW, I love my stream decks (yes plural)

Hey Johns, apologies for costing you $69 bucks! My bad!

Let me warn you... the Mac software for the Koolertron is GARBAGE. I was able to get it running on my older intel Mac, but I just can't get it to run on my new M1 Mac. I'd love to hear it if you got it running on an M1 Mac.

Here's my advice for the Koolertron setup: Get on a PC. Assign the custom macros keys (I think you get 12) to the first Fn keys, then assign seldom used key combinations to the rest (Fn1 and Fn2). That way, you get unique trigger for KM. THEN, inside KM, just hit "triggered by" and hit your custom key as the hot key.

Hope that makes sense. To be honest, the setup is going to be frustrating, but once you get it done, it's smooth sailing from there.

LUCK!

Totally makes sense, I've done that similar process with my Azeron keypad, so I know the drill :slight_smile:

Any way to change the RGB dynamically / via an API of some kind?

Yeah, in the Amag app, you can change the colors (if you buy the RBG version). Also, when you change to the different Fn modes, you can change the colors there too. Mine turns blue when I go to Fn2. Again, you'll have better luck doing this on a PC.
BTW, there's a GitHub thread I've been following to see if anyone figures out a reliable way to get AMAG running on an M1 Mac. Check it out:

(no luck so far).

Thank you for this message. I knew there had to be a way for X-keys on a Mac - not through a PC. So I've downloaded and installed the X-keys setup for mac but I can't find a shred of documentation on HOW TO USE IT. Nothing on YouTube and nothing on the PI engineering site. It used to be with the old Controllermate turned on, I could just use a USB DEVICE KEY TRIGGER and select a button on the X-key to assign it. That system doesn't work with X-Keys setup for Mac. The software recognizes my X-Key device but KM still doesn't recognize the various button triggers on the X-Key. What am I missing? Is there any tutorial SOMEWHERE?

Do it like this:

1. Program shortcuts to your X-keys (sth like Cmd-Option-Shift-Ctrl-F12)
  2. Assign keyboard shortcuts to Keyboard Maestro as triggers
  3. OR if it is a Mac function that has a keyboard shortcut, you can just assign that shortcut directly

The X-keys software for Mac ist not a full-blown macro programming utility, it is a way to assign shortcuts to the X-keys device.

If you have an XK-24, you can program it to use Game Controller functions which then make a Device Key Trigger in Keyboard Maestro. The larger devices don't allow for that, because there can be a maximum of 32 Game Controller functions.

www.xkeys.ch

I must be doing something VERY wrong and it's driving me mad.

So my XK24 is plugged into the USB port on the mac. X-keys setup software is loaded (there are lots of buttons and controls there which I have no idea what they do and they're no documentation or help or anything. I KNOW the software sees the XKey device because I can press various key buttons and the same button on the software screen lights up. That's all hunky dory but to actually program an XKey trigger for a KM Macro is where I'm confused.

In the past with controller X [or whatever it was called] I could write my KM macro then assign a USB DEVICE KEY trigger and tough whatever XKey button I wanted...and Whola! Then every time I touched the same XKey button the KM-assigned macro triggers,

With XKeys Setup - there are a TON of buttons and controls for just about everything under the sun [and not a word of documentation or HELP to go with ANY of it - thank you very much]. So not know what ANY of the Xkey setup buttons do or how they work. I just program my KM macro as usual, then set a USB DEVICE KEY TRIGGER and I press an XKey I'd like it to be assigned to and 94066 ZERO, NADA HAPPENS. KM doesn't even recognize the XKey was pressed - or ANY XKey being pressed and obviously none of the macros I programmed work. So I figure I'm doing it wrong.

I'm frustrated. Why would someone create a complicated powerful USB device like this with EQUALLY POWERFUL & COMPLICATED software package to run it and then have ZERO DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE IT. I've looked all over KM Forum, YouTube, XKey website, and Software links - NOT A SINGLE WORD OF HELP AL ALL.

Any help in either programming a simple KM macro using an XKey USB device key as a trigger, or any and all help on finding SOME DOCUMENTATION on either how to use the XKey Device or its XKey setup software would make me oh so grateful.

I tried using a Windows VM to update the firmware. It crashed the whole thing - VM 100% GONE. So I broke down and just bought a new XK24 device with the patch already baked in. The new XK24 looks act, and feels, just like the old XK24s with the outdated firmware patch. The new XK 24s with the new firmware patch still have NONE of the programmable XK24 keys that are even recognized by the Mac as any USB key trigger deviceto trigger ANY of the simple KM macros I wrote for the device years ago and have been using successfully until the last OS X upgrades. it all used to work just fine. Now it's a big NADA - ZILTCH Yet P.I. ENgineering continues to openly advertise the XK Devices as being FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH MAC OS X and KEYBOARD MAESTRO - neither of which have I found to be true.

PLEASE Correct me if I got this wrong. Like I said - I had an XK24 working great for years and now it just doesn't work at all -= despite the aggressive and misleading advertising saying the opposite). I would LOVE to be proved wrong in all this and learn some new tip take brings all my hours of XK24 Macro Programming back into the realm of the living once again. But I'm very doubtful this will really happen.