Quotation Marks

I write a lot of dialogue.

It would be nice to have a macro that creates an opening quotation mark, the cursor, and a closing quotation mark.

Please show me how to make a macro that will create enclosing quotation marks with the cursor in the middle, probably best when I type just the first quotation mark.

I can't make it work.

Hi @moppo,

Welcome to the forum.
What you are asking can be done very easily.

2 Likes

@moppo,

@martin nailed it. If you are afraid of the %s, then you can do it this way as well.

martin's is better and more efficient though.

KC

If you want a little control over when the function is active and when it isn't, look at Toggler Macro (v9.2).

Thanks, but...

Pasting? What? From where? What is the trigger?

I can make kcwhat's version work, but would rather not keep track of another trigger. Can I have the macro fire when I type just one "

Mine is just an example of an Action. To make it a macro, you just create a macro with this action in it. Then add a trigger for the macro:

Edit:
Maybe I should upload the macro for you. So here it is:

MACRO:   Insert Quotation Marks

DOWNLOAD Macro File:

Insert Quotation Marks.kmmacros
Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.

Very nice, Martin!

Is there a way to make the Enter key a trigger to position the text cursor behind the closing quote character?

Thanks, Martin! I duped it and made one for the single quote mark, for quoting within a quote when I tap the single quote key twice.

Still not sure what you did there, but appreciate having this nice convenience added to the voluminous dialogue writing I do.

I wouldn't want to trigger the macro with just on quote mark. But maybe 2 quotes in a row would work well without triggering by accident.

Triggering works fine for the double quote. Hardly ever want it to stand alone. Not with the single, since it's also used as an apostrophe.

I made this macro because it was specifically requested as such.

I don't use it personally.

This should work in most cases.
(Edit: see updated macro below).

Yes, you can.

I can't make this work. Hitting the enter key just forces a new line. (Even when I change “Return” to “Enter.” The double-quote works fine but the rest of it doesn't for me.

I use both Scrivener and Word. Same result. It looks like this when I hit the enter key:
“test

The only thing that happens is pushing the trailing quote make to a new line.

Sorry, I forgot to add one last action.

Try this one:

MACRO:   Insert Quotation Marks

DOWNLOAD Macro File:

Insert Quotation Marks.kmmacros
Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.

This is the best support forum I've ever been part of! Thank you, Martin. All I did was add a space at the very end.

1 Like

Sorry, I'm too green on this app. I could not find your macro.

I'd like to use the double-quote but if I enable that, then I can no longer use just one instance of it.

Please give this newbie some instruction on how to use your macro.

Do you mean you can't find this post?

Quotation marks - Questions & Suggestions - Keyboard Maestro Discourse

I don't quite understand your question. You said "if I enable that", this seems to me that you have found the macro and have installed it.
Also, what do you mean by " I can no longer use just one instance of it"?

Sorry to be so vague and confusing. I was responding to a post by Rob that has since been deleted. He said he had uploaded a macro. When I downloaded and ran it, I could not find his double quotes macro in it. Maybe he uploaded the wrong one.

My question about one instance was in response to his preference for a trigger that uses two presses of the trigger keys. I can see why two ("") would be preferable, but if I specify two presses, then I don't get the single " character when that's all I want. Is there a way to prevent the macro from waiting for that second press?
Hope this is clearer.