Randomly Pick a Sound from Logic Pro's Library

Try this:

Strip Search - Random Patch.kmmacros (80 KB)

Macro screenshot

This repeatedly prompts as long as the current folder contains subfolders. As soon as it doesn't, it will choose a random patch.

@noisneil just done a little practice run an seems to be working good, but is it possible to have an exception to folders named "Samples". as logic saves samples used in patches created with quick sampler and sampler into folders named "Samples"

Sure!

Strip Search - Random Patch.kmmacros (82 KB)

Macro screenshot

@noisneil now the macro is just displaying a text box of the patch that the randomisation has selected

My bad. I'm rushing around today. I forgot to get rid of a testing block.

Here it is without it:

Strip Search - Random Patch.kmmacros (81 KB)

Macro screenshot

1 Like

Sorry @noisneil i appreciate you helping me even though you are busy :slight_smile:

The last macro you have sent has solved the folder issue, so now the macro is very flexible when it comes to organising patches within folders. which will be very useful!

So thank you very much for your great work!!

i have just thought of two more ideas which i think will help improve this macro further.

1. Copy the Midi region from the current mouse position and paste it onto the new randomised patch sound. after the randomized patch sound has finished loading. and also mute the track which the midi region was copied from

2. Usually once the randomized patch sound has been loaded in, the track is right at the bottom of the project, it would be great if, after it has been loaded into the project and after the midi region has been pasted onto the track, it will then move the track to below the other track where the midi region was copied from.

i hope this makes sense!

I think once those improvements are made that should finish the macro

You would only want this for instruments and not always, so this should be a separate procedure.

Can't be automated I'm afraid.

@noisneil ahh that's a shame, thanks for your help anyway!

Here's a version that pastes MIDI regions if any are selected when the macro is triggered:

Strip Search - Random Patch.kmmacros (86 KB)

Macro screenshot

1 Like

@noisneil Brilliant! Thank you so much!

1 Like