Redesigned: Quickly Create an Auto-Correction Expansion With Typinator (Using Aspell and Typinator's AppleScript dictionary)

Hello there! I’d be more than happy to help troubleshoot the issue if you could provide some more context. Please verify the following:

1. Do you have Aspell installed?
  2. Have you modified the macro in any way?
  3. Can you turn on debugging or otherwise specify at which point the macro is failing?

Screenshots/recordings are helpful if possible too.

Yesterday @_jims and I helped troubleshoot an issue with one of my other Typinator macros that ended up being a problem with the users ENV_PATH variable not containing the proper file path for his installation of Aspell. Likely your issue is something simple as well.

Report back and we’ll go from there! :grin:

-Chris

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply.

1: yes, I have installed it via Homebrew
2: no modification
3: I don't know how to do that. It looks like no part of the macro has passed.

This forum is not uploading image for me.

No problem! Thanks for the info.

1. Do you have an Intel or M1 Mac?
  2. Don't worry about the screenshot/recording.
  3. Did you set up the ENV_PATH variable?
  1. yes, I have Intel
  2. thanks
  3. No: is that the path for Aspell?

Ah that's the issue. And I now realize that my description in post 1 could have been clearer so I edited to include info about the ENV_PATH variable.

Check out this link to set it up. If you have any questions or run into issues let me know and I can walk you through it.

Create a PATH Environment Variable for Keyboard Maestro and Add /usr/local/bin to the Default Path - Questions & Suggestions - Keyboard Maestro Discourse

It doesn’t exist in the macro... it's a global variable that Keyboard Maestro uses to run Shell Scripts in the same way Terminal would run them.

Try this:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type Echo $PATH (or copy/paste from here)
  3. Press return :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:
  4. Copy the results into a KM variable called ENV_PATH
  5. Run the macro again.

To give you an idea of what the results would look like see the screenshot from my iMac with the results underlined in red:

Screenshot (click to expand/collapse)

Thank you for the clarification. It is working now.

Great! Glad you got it going. Let me know if you need any other help with it.

1 Like

Version 4.0.0 is now up. It automatically searches your specified set to see if the misspelled word already exists and if it does, automatically replaces it with the correct expansion. See post 1 for more details.

1 Like

Thanks, @cdthomer. This awesome macro gets even better. Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure Jim, this is one of my favorite macros I have built and have used it many, MANY times (as you can see in the screenshot). And this was just since combining them into one macro (with different triggers) instead of multiple macros. So i've actually used it far MORE than the screenshot shows but since initially it was 3 different macros I don't have the total usage count. :sweat_smile:

Macro usage count as of Monday, July 18, 2022 (click to expand/collapse)

Also, your skills are quite prodigious, so if you have any suggestions as to how I can improve this macro I'm all ears. :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your amazing macros. However, for some reason this one doesn't works with me. The previous version was good with me.

This one

I have aspell and every thing and I tried to debug it and the problem seems to be in the apple script when ever it reach there it crash.

photo

Looking forward for your help

Howdy! Sorry to hear you're running into issues with this macro. I'll be glad to try and troubleshoot the issue for you.

First, can you verify that you set the following variables properly? For instance, you need to supply the name of your Typinator set to which you are trying to add the correction. In my case I have three different ones (English auto correction, Spanish auto correction and Names auto correction, thus three triggers and three sets of variables).

Variables screenshot (click to expand/collapse)

Verify that you have supplied the appropriate set names and we'll go from there.

-Chris

EDIT: And thank you for supplying the debugging screenshot; that helped to know where to start.

EDIT 2: Wait a minute... I messed up...

EDIT 3: Ok @A_A my apologies... like a bonehead I uploaded my personal copy which uses AppleScript files instead of AppleScript actions. Download the macro again please and either use the new version or simply replace the two actions that use AppleScript (they are colored red, one is the third from last action, and the other is the last action buried in the "See if word is already in the set and proceed" group) with the actions from the new version.

I also forgot to edit the variable so thank you.

No problem, is it working now?

Yeah It's awesome.

Woohoo! Glad it's working and you're enjoying it. If you have any feedback on it, don't hesitate to reach out.

2 Likes

Version 4.0.1 is up. Changes include capturing and filtering any trailing spaces and/or punctuation, and then restoring them upon pasting into front document. See post 1 for more details.

Version 4.0.2 is now up. The only difference from version 4.0.1 is an improved system to replace trailing punctuation and spaces when the word already exists in the chosen set and is pasted into the front document. See post 1 for more details.

1 Like