Redesigned: Quickly Create an Auto-Correction Expansion With Typinator (Using Aspell and Typinator's AppleScript dictionary)

Thank so much for putting this macro out dear @cdthomer. It is incredibly useful; and I am using it every day.

Making spelling mistakes is less painful now.

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I agree @Desalegn; this macro is a gem! Thanks to @cdthomer, I'm now a big proponent of Typinator.

1 Like

@Desalegn and @_jims my pleasure, and thank you for your kind words.

FYI I have a newer version coming out soon with a little bit of polishing (Jim, thanks for the PM by the way).

-Chris

1 Like

Version 5.3.0 is now up. It contains quite a bit of polishing Iā€™ve done since my last posted version back in August, but never had time to post. See post 1 for more info.

FYI @Desalegn @_jims :wink:

General notes on the last few versions:

v5.3.0 Tuesday, January 17, 2023
1. Added alert in case word is potentially spelled correctly
1.a This will also remove the ā€œInternational Ispell Versionā€ message from the expansion list.
2. Modified AppleScripts to ensure Typinator is running.
3. Added loop action to AppleScript actions to ensure the AppleScript finishes executing before proceeding.
3.a I did this because lately I have been seeing a lot of AppleScript -600 errors claiming the app isnā€™t running among other things.
3.b This will ensure they actually execute completely.

v5.2.0 Thursday, November 17, 2022 (not posted publicly)
1. Simplifed/eliminated some superfluous actions.
2. Simplified RegEx to separate word from leading and trailing non-alpha characters
3. Corrected an issue where in certain cases the original unfiltered named clipboard was being used for insertions.

v5.1.0 Friday, September 30, 2022 (not posted publicly)
1. Used a switch action to move to end of work upon cancelling if it is already spelled correctly, otherwise leave it highlighted.
2. Added deleting system clipboard (since I discovered that copying to named clipboard still makes use of the system clipboard)
3. Added replacing straight apostrophes with curly apostrophes
4. Added an action to retry the loop if the initial selection does not copy any alpha-characters.
4a. This can be handy if there is punctuation after the word you want to add since ā‡§āŒ„ā† sometimes captures only the trailing punctuation, and not the word behind it.

2 Likes

Hey Chris,

I hope you're using the TidBITS Auto-Correction Dictionary for Typinator.

-ccs

2 Likes

Hey Chris,

I do have that set. My personal sets just supplement it. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing these nice refinements, @cdthomer!

1 Like

I basically left it untouched since you helped me set it up last September with no real issues, but I figured I'd try updating since I was still on version 4.1 lol. Will the same method as last time still work? I figured stuff changed and I'd be better off just asking in advance

Hey Khalil,

The newer versions should work just fine for you. The only real ā€œset-upā€ is installing Aspell. Beyond that itā€™s more a question of customizing the options to how you like them.

Either way, you can download the newer version and import it, since it wonā€™t overwrite your current version, but rather create a duplicate. Once itā€™s imported you can temporarily disable your version 4.1 so you can try out the newer one and go from there.

As always, if you run into any issues, donā€™t hesitate to reach out here or via a PM and Iā€™ll help you troubleshoot them.

-Chris

Version 5.5.0 is up.

See post 1 for more details.

1 Like

Version 5.6.0 is up. This version includes the following change:

I added a step that upon pasting in a misspelled word that already exists in a Typinator set, retains the original wordā€™s case.

See post 1 for more details and to download it.

1 Like

This an update version from my old Using Medical Terms expansion It features more medical words and the rest is the same.

It basically uses the same v5.6.0 macro of our best friend @cdthomer and changes Spanish to medical dictionary.

Macro:
New Medical.kmmacros (149.6 KB)

What you need extra is:

1- Hunspell (by downloading from Hombrew)
2- Medical Dictionary (You can download it from here Dictionary.zip (625.5 KB))

Steps:
1- unzip the dictionary file and put its contents in /Users/"your user name"/Library/Spelling

photo

2- Edit Spanish script in the macro

Photo

And thatā€™s it

Example:
CleanShot 2024-01-09 at 15.59.02

Don't forget to read the author @cdthomer comments and make the other necessary edits

Finally special Thanks to @cdthomer for this amazing macro

1 Like

Oh man I need to download your mods and try them out. I work as an interpreter and part of my field is medical interpreting. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

forgot to add the macro itself sorry.

1 Like