Save to a Specific Destination in Apple Mail

Thank you. Yes exactly, that's where I have it now. So it's really only a button press away. But I was still curious if it could be selected as the default folder for saving, but apparently not.

Great idea, but I can't find the "Recent Folders.savedSearch" anywhere in the Finder.
I looked in the "Saved Searches" folder, but it is not there.
Maybe a screen shot would help.

As far as I know it's not a stock feature; you have to create it yourself.

-Chris

If you're using a saved-search in the sidebar, you have 3 options.

1. Manually select the sidebar item.
  2. Make a Keyboard Maestro to manipulate the UI to select the sidebar item.
  3. Use AppleScript UI-Scripting to select the sidebar item.

If you want more options you may want to consider Default Folder.

-Chris

Thanks! Think I actually had Default Folder X before:) But yeah, I try to avoid GUI stuff. Apple Script might work though

It should work, but getting all the UI stuff is pesky.

See this macro, and the associated thread:

-Chris

Assuming System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > All Controls is enabled...

With Keyboard Maestro it is easy to simulate Tab (or Shift-Tab) and Up/Down Arrow Keys for movement in Open/Save Dialogs to select a Sidebar listing. I have a macro that's used regularly to do similar.

Can't seem to get to the sidebar with ANY keyboard shortcut

Hard to help without seeing what you're attempting. On my system, in a Mail Open/Save dialog, a few presses of Tab selects the sidebar which can then be navigated with arrow keys. As mentioned earlier, that's with System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > All Controls enabled.

Thanks! Not sure exactly what "All controls" means though?

Hey Oscar,

The way this works is bad UI design.

Type:

F
Tab

This should take you to the top of the sidebar.

-Chris

This is on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra and might look a bit different on later versions.

Many people love and depend upon this.

Personally I don't like the way it works and only use it at need.

-Chris

Chris @ccstone showed you the correct pane in System Preferences, but highlighted the wrong item. I think this is more clear (from Mojave):

To enable tabbing to "All Controls" (not just text boxes/lists), you need to select the "All controls radio button at the bottom of this preference pane.

I find this setting very useful, and almost never change it.

Incorrect.

The keyboard shortcut I highlighted toggles All-Controls – even on Mojave.

-Chris

I agree, but you did not highlight the actual preference that needs changing, which is the whole point.

Please note that in my Mojave preferences that item you highlighted is disabled. I don't know if that is by default, or if I unchecked that item.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hmm, ok, so it actually doesn't look like that in Catalina.

Enabling the highlighted item should be the Catalina equivalent to the All Controls option described above.

Thanks, yeah I'm not sure what is supposed to happen when I press *Tab. If I am in a Finder window, nothing happens when I have this selected

With that setting enabled you can navigate controls, like in an Open/Save dialog box, not in the Finder itself.