Save to a Specific Destination in Apple Mail

Hello!
I have searched the forum, but to no avail.
How do I set a save location in OSX Mail?
I have a macro that saves an email as a text document (and promts for a location). I want it to also automatically go to my "recent folders" folder. I have tried tweaking a macro from a user here. (sorry, I don't remember the name, but thanks!) So I tried calling this macro from my main macro

“Recent Folders” isn’t a folder, it’s a “saved search” for Spotlight. So you can’t save anything directly so it.

Mail.app will let you download to a specific folder other than ~/Downloads/ (the default) if you want. Click on this preference item and set where you want it to go

1 Like

Hey Oscar,

As TJ mentions you can't go to a saved-search (not a folder), but if you want to go to a legit folder you can do something like this:

-Chris

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I just really want it to open ”Recent Folders” in the save dialogue. I can obviously do it manually, since it has a place on the hard drive. I also have a separate macro that opens recent folders, but that only works in Finder.

Just to be clear, I don’t want it to save to Recent Folders, I just want mail to go to that location, then I will manually choose a folder and save it

Yes, I know – but Recent Folders doesn't actually exist. It's a logical folder (really a file), and users don't have access.

-Chris

In the Finder, Recent Folders.savedSearch can be dragged into the sidebar of a window (that may require use of a modifier key), and after doing so it will also be in the sidebar of Open/Save dialogs for quick access.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes exactly, that's where I have it now. So it's really only a button press away. But I was still curious if it could be selected as the default folder for saving, but apparently not.

Great idea, but I can't find the "Recent Folders.savedSearch" anywhere in the Finder.
I looked in the "Saved Searches" folder, but it is not there.
Maybe a screen shot would help.

As far as I know it's not a stock feature; you have to create it yourself.

-Chris

If you're using a saved-search in the sidebar, you have 3 options.

1. Manually select the sidebar item.
  2. Make a Keyboard Maestro to manipulate the UI to select the sidebar item.
  3. Use AppleScript UI-Scripting to select the sidebar item.

If you want more options you may want to consider Default Folder.

-Chris

Thanks! Think I actually had Default Folder X before:) But yeah, I try to avoid GUI stuff. Apple Script might work though

It should work, but getting all the UI stuff is pesky.

See this macro, and the associated thread:

-Chris

Assuming System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > All Controls is enabled...

With Keyboard Maestro it is easy to simulate Tab (or Shift-Tab) and Up/Down Arrow Keys for movement in Open/Save Dialogs to select a Sidebar listing. I have a macro that's used regularly to do similar.

Can't seem to get to the sidebar with ANY keyboard shortcut

Hard to help without seeing what you're attempting. On my system, in a Mail Open/Save dialog, a few presses of Tab selects the sidebar which can then be navigated with arrow keys. As mentioned earlier, that's with System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > All Controls enabled.

Thanks! Not sure exactly what "All controls" means though?

Hey Oscar,

The way this works is bad UI design.

Type:

F
Tab

This should take you to the top of the sidebar.

-Chris

This is on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra and might look a bit different on later versions.

Many people love and depend upon this.

Personally I don't like the way it works and only use it at need.

-Chris

Chris @ccstone showed you the correct pane in System Preferences, but highlighted the wrong item. I think this is more clear (from Mojave):

To enable tabbing to "All Controls" (not just text boxes/lists), you need to select the "All controls radio button at the bottom of this preference pane.

I find this setting very useful, and almost never change it.