Script to Transfer Data From a List to Numbers

Hey All,

Noob here looking for some help with what seems like a relatively simple script that is beyond my ability. I have a user input prompt collecting Client info which I then use to create unique file structures for projects on my work drive. I would also love to have a running ledger of clients/projects to help keep track of progress and billing.

Ideally, each time I fill out the user prompt (Client, Email, Address, Project,... etc) a new row will get added to my ledger (I am currently using Numbers) and the info would go in to their respective columns.

I have figured out how to create a new variable of each of the above variables as a list and save it to a clipboard. and I have figured out an AppleScript to open the ledger file, turn the KM variables into AppleScript variables and add a new row. BUT I cant find a straight forward way to get the list to map into their respective places in the new row.

I have a feeling the solution is pretty simple but I cant seem to get it right. can anyone help or point me in the right direction? or tell me a better way to do this?


Hey @gwitcher,

Please provide a data sample – preferably in macro form – and a sample Numbers worksheet for testing.

Dummy data is fine – but it should be as real world as possible.


hi @ccstone,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I did some more digging and it seems like my issue was stemming from a permissions issue in OS Monterey where AppleScript was not allowed to write into Numbers. I went through all of the steps in the "security & privacy" section of system preferences but it didn't seem to make a difference.

HOWEVER, I did find a script that is somehow able to sidestep the permissions issue by being more general in the AppleScript about what I was calling up and writing to. The script that was having issues was calling up the document, sheet and table all by their specific names. As you will see below, this new (working) AppleScript just calls the active sheet.

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 10.07.47 AM

The fact that you can use AppleScript with Numbers at all makes this unlikely – it seems much more likely that you had a syntax problem.

Glad you got things working.