Secure Input enabled

I'm running macOS 13.5. Of late, I have seen that "secure input enabled" gets activated and rarely seems to be freed up. As well as KM, I use Typinator and it makes it pretty much unusable. In testing, the only thing that seems to clear it is a reboot (closing the app that is supposedly causing it doesn't help).

Is anyone else seeing this happen frequently? I'm wondering if something else in my setup is impacting on this, though the Typinator developer puts the blame squarely on the way macOS works.

Thanks,

Des

A search of the forum will show a number of helpful threads about secure input, including this post on how to identify which application, if any, has activated secure input mode.

Thanks, kevinb. I was more asking if others have noticed this get worse recently - in my case, KM shows loginwindow, while Typinator shows various apps (closing the app and Typinator, then starting Typinator again shows the app in the active window, which suggests KM is more accurate).

Running some of the commands in the thread you linked to identify loginwindow as the culprit, so I guess I am likely going to have to close and reopen my session more often, which is a complete pain.

Unfortunately “loginwindow” really just means there is no obvious process holding the Secure Input Mode. It means the cause is likely some sort of server/daemon which makes it very hard to figure out.

You can try restricting whatever servers/daemons are installed (and app like Lingon X can be helpful for this).

It's likely an app that wants to authenticate for something or otherwise needs a password for something.

Sure, I just wasn't able to comment in terms of MacOS 13.5. In fact, I was interested to hear that there had been an update to MacOS 13.4.1, since the relevant system hadn't alerted me to it.

Since updating the OS yesterday, I have not, as yet, encountered any problems with secure input – but of course every setup is different, so that doesn't tell you much of use.

Yes, and this is probably too obvious, but check that any apps that make use of secure input have not been left in edit mode. Also I read that if you have a Web page open in Chrome and it's been left in the background, asking for a login, that could be a culprit.

2 Likes