Select Dialog Control?

I'd like some help on automating this dialog box:

I want to open the control next to "Format:" and select JPEG in it.

My research suggests that I will have to add nine Tab keypresses, then a spacebar keypress, then a "J" keypress.

Is there an easier way?

Also, do I have to have nine separate "Type the Tab Keystroke" actions?

Thanks!

My solution would also be with the tabs @PianoAl. But it goes so fast that it doesn't attract much attention.
I would also be interested to know if there is another possibility with a script.

ScreenFlow

Tab

Tab.kmmacros (3,2 KB)

Yes, fortunately there is. Though it may not seem like it, this dropdown menu can be pressed using KM's Press a Button action. An example macro would look like this:

Select Image Format.kmmacros (1.7 KB)

On my system, this macro ran fine without the need for pauses, but if you find you run into issues on your system, I would suggest adding slight pauses between actions as per @appleianer's example.

For some reason the "Press button" part failed for me--any ideas why?

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you tried the macro while the KM editor is the frontmost app, and thus, while the Photoshop dialog wasn't available. Try running the macro while making sure Photoshop is the frontmost app and see if that doesn't change things.

Hey Gabe,

This actually works for you?

In Photoshop?

I don't have Photoshop to test with, but my tests with appropriate button names in Safari and TextEdit fail to activate the pop-up button.

-Chris

The Press a button action doesn't work for me either

Hey Chris,

Damn, I guess I didn't test this thoroughly enough. While this method does work with menu buttons marked with a single arrow, like "PDF" in the print dialog:

15%20AM

You're right in that it doesn't work with pop up buttons marked with double arrows, like the dialog in question or similar ones in Safari and TextEdit:

20%20AM

My apologies to you and everyone else in the thread for inadvertently offering a misleading non-solution.

2 Likes

Hey Al,

Are you working in Photoshop Elements here?

-Chris

Yes, Photoshop Elements. I can save JPG files with the File/Save for Web ..., but that replaces spaces in the filename with hyphens. I was looking for a way to make it easier to save an image as a JPG.