“Send mail” action fails

This action fails (silently) for me now. Is this a known issue? An El Capitan thing?

Hey Jack,

This is a known issue, but the fix has not yet been determined.

In the meantime you can script it directly.

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone <scriptmeister@thestoneforge.com>
# dCre: 2013/05/15 06:11
# dMod: 2015/10/08 14:33
# Appl: Apple Mail
# Task: Make a new outgoing message.
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Tags: @Applescript, @Mail, @Make, @New, @Outgoing, @Message
------------------------------------------------------------

set toName to "John Smith"
set toAddress to "address@null.com"
set _sender to "Christopher Stone <null@null.com>"
set _subject to "Test Message"
set _body to "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."
set _sig to "Take_Care"

tell application "Mail"
  set _sig to signature _sig
  set _msg to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:_subject, content:_body & return & return}

tell _msg
    set visible to true
    make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {name:toName, address:toAddress}
    set sender to _sender
    set message signature to _sig
  end tell

activate
end tell

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to know! Thanks.

I have looked in to this and determined it is a bug in Mail’s AppleScript support in El Capitan that is relatively easy to work around.

Basically, Mail does not like having visible set to false and then true.

You can see this in action with the AppleScript:

tell application "Mail"
	set newMessage to make new outgoing message
	tell newMessage
		set visible to false
		set visible to true
	end tell
	activate
end tell

So all I need to do is not set visible to false initially and that will resolve the problem for 7.0.2.

I’ve been struggling with this failure for days and just found this post. I don’t know AppleScript, but I can follow directions if someone could please tell me where to make the AppleScript adjustment to “not set visible to false initially.” Thanks in advance!

You can't change the Keyboard Maestro action. That will have to wait for Peter to make a change in the application itself.

You can only script it directly, as I mention above.

-Chris

Hello, Chris. Thanks for your reply. I’m such a neophyte, I don’t know what you mean by “you can script it directly.” I see what you wrote that I should copy and paste somewhere, but where? In what application? Thanks much!
Sandy

Hey Sandy,

That's AppleScript code. You run it from an execute AppleScript action.

You can edit and run it from the Script Editor app to see how it works, before you put it in an action and run it from Keyboard Maestro.

You can go to YouTube and type in "AppleScript editor" to get a general idea of how it works. As of Yosemite it is called the "Script Editor", because as of then it handles JavaScript and Applescript Objective-C in addition to AppleScript.

-Chris

I use the Send Mail Message action to send an email with an attachment. This week I upgraded to El Cap and ever since, it sends the email but without the attachment, Is that the same bug as described in this thread? Or should I start a separate thread?

–Rick

Hey Rick,

Yes.

-Chris

This is fixed in 7.0.2.

Thanks!

Hi,

7.0.2. did not fix this problem for me!

Thomas

7.0.2 does not fix my problem. The Send Mail action still works to send an email but it does not include the specified attachment.

If 7.0.2 does not fix the problem you will need to email support (support@stairways.com) with the action you are using so we can see what the issue is.