Send MIDI Note On

Hi there,

I’m trying to use the ‘Send Midi Note On’ action to output a Note On message on a USB MIDI interface but I can’t see how I can route that. I read the WIKI and it says “Keyboard Maestro can send MIDI messages, which effectively come from a device named “Keyboard Maestro”” but I can’t see that device in Mac OS Audio Midi Setup either. I’m sure there’s something obvious I’m missing but any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

As soon as you create the Send MIDI action, Keyboard Maestro should register itself as a MIDI device.

Try using MIDI Monitor to see the events Keyboard Maestro is sending, then go from there.

Hi there,

Thanks for the link - I can confirm I’m getting output from Keyboard Maestro on MIDI Monitor, but I’m just unsure how to route the MIDI messages from KM to a physical MIDI interface. I’d usually use Mac OS Audio Midi setup for this but I can’t see KM there - should it appear there?

Thanks in advance!

Keyboard Maestro appears in the Audio MIDI Setup as a source for routing:

No idea what all that means I'm afraid.

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much, my macro works now! Sorry I just didn’t know where to find KM in the Audio Midi Setup window - I now know it’s under the network tab. Thank you for your help.

Great. It’d be fantastic to post a writeup on using MIDI with a device, either in the Tips section or in the Macro Library section. I’m sure others would appreciate it, and I’d love to see Keyboard Maestro get more traction with MIDI users.

Hello hbadger30 and Peter,

I encounter the same difficulties as you.

Could you explain how you went about solving your problem?

I am new to the MIDI configuration.

In my case, the device does not receive the CC message, but MIDI Monitor confirms that the message came from Keyboard Maestro.

If I change the program on the device, MIDI Monitor confirms that the message came from Port 1 of my MIDI interface.

In the Audio and MIDI Setup, the 8 ports of my interface are well recognized (in & out).

I created a new MIDI device and created the connections with Port 1 of my interface.

I created a MIDI Network session, in the Live Rooting part, I selected keyboard maestro and Port 1 of my interface.

After having made all these settings my CC message is still not sent to the device.

(I don't understand the usefulness of creating a network knowing that I only use one Mac)

I am a blind user of Keyboard Maestro, and I rely heavily on this software to be able to use this type of device independently.

Thank you in advance for the help you could give me!

Best Regards,

Mat'

It doesn't seem to appear in Audio MIDI Setup anymore, on my Mojave machine. I think maybe the MIDI support has become broken... any chance of looking into this?

Sent messages appear in MIDI Monitor, but since there's no way to connect up KM in Audio MIDI Setup, it doesn't seem possible to do anything with them.

If you have a specific issue, please ask on a separate topic thread, and be specific about what is not working.

I am no MIDI expert, but in Big Sur, Keyboard Maestro’s Send MIDI Note appears in MIDI Monitor, and Keyboard Maestro appears in the Audio MIDI Setup Live Routing list, so as far as I can see nothing has changed.

Please see Feature Request: Implement MIDI sending to devices