Sharing Macros and Legal Liability?

There is a reason that most software installations/updates require your to "agree" to the TOS, otherwise the install will not proceed.

Yeah, except IANAL either, and I'd rather not mess with something existing. But I get your point, and it is valid.

Yep, that’s what I mean. The agreeing is a meta thing: either by the pure presence of the agreement (for example in source code files) or by an explicit “agree” button (for example with installers).

Then you should definitely consult with your attorney.

I've owned 3 businesses, and consulted with many others, and have written and changed many many legal documents. But any really important ones I always have a lawyer review.

So are you going to put license agreements in your macros?

@Tom, feel free to leave it out of your agreement. It does not hurt to have it, even if it is somewhat redundant, and it is staying in mine.

Yep. Have already changed my macro template:

Call it overkill if you like, but I have a notice in my ReleaseNotes (at the bottom) that points to a Comment action with the license:

###JMichaelTX ReleaseNotes and License Comment Actions
####Download:
Keyboard Maestro Actions.kmactions (2.8 KB)
Note that these are uploaded as Actions. So when you import, they will import into the current Macro you have open for editing.
###Notice:
Of course these are highly customized for my preferences and needs.
You will need to change to according to your needs.

1 Like

Would you mind uploading those actions? With whatever attribution you’d desire, of course.

Just updated my above post with a file download link.

Thank you.

Here's my new "improved" license. I'll probably have more changes as I think about it and discuss with others. But it is where I'm at now.

Please feel free to offer constructive criticism.

###EDIT: 2016-09-08 18:57 CT (Thu)

• I told you it would change. Update just posted.
By downloading or installing this software, you agree to the following statements.  DO NOT INSTALL OR USE IF YOU DO NOT AGREE.

DEFINITION OF TERMS:

1. "Software" refers to any and all data and computer software related to this Keyboard Maestro Macro, including, but not limited to: instructions, macros, actions, plugins, scripts, and resources . It includes everything in the download file(s).

PERMISSION:
Permission is hereby granted to anyone to use, copy, and/or modify the software. The software may be redistributed provided that: (1) It is offered free of charge to others; (2) The following are included in and appear in all copies: (a) The above copyright notice; (b) This License in its entirety; and (c) Attribution is given to the original author named in the above ReleaseNotes.

NO WARRANTY:
The software is provided "as is" and the author disclaims all warranties with regard to this software including all implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

NO INDEMNITY:
In no event shall the author or Copyright holder be liable for any special, direct, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of this software.

Just posted an update.