[SOLVED] Find specific set of words

Information added to an action remains in the action in many forms whether it is displayed or not. Actions consist of most than just the displayed information and may contain any other information you have entered related to the action.

Some actions save all their data, some for performance reasons avoid saving some unused data.

Keeping data when you change settings and restoring it when you restore settings is as much a feature as a bug. For example, the recorded clicks have a lot of extra invisible data relating to the environment around the recorded click (screen and window frames) so that you can change the popup menu after the recording to select different relative corners.

So while I agree there is a potential leak of information that is not entirely visible, that is not something I can guarantee to avoid.

With quotes it is a phrase, not an AND operation.

See: Search Strings

1 Like

No, Search should not find the text if it is unused. If it does, that's a bug, feel free to report it.

That the 888 is remembers is not a bug. You entered it, you may want to change your mind about whether to drag, and the information you entered is still in the action.

It’s a very convenient feature that improves the usability of KM while constructing macros and trying out alternative approaches. I have always marvelled that you had the foresight to implement it - so no, I’d never thought of it as a bug!

However I (and a few others in this thread) are referring to when a macro leaves the safe haven that is the KM Editor via the export process which is when that helpful feature becomes a potential liability. I know you know this and so I trust you when you say you can’t guarantee to avoid it happening. But does that mean you will take steps to reduce/avoid it happening?

1 Like

Not really. Some that is entered in the action may remain in the action even if it is not displayed. If it remains across saves, it will remain for exports, its the same code.

In cases where I happen to notice that extra data is being saved that is unnecessary to the action, then I might not save/export it, but that would largely be a decision based on saving space in the export.

I found myself in another situation where it would be useful that we were able to be specific about the what we need KM to find. Here's an example where I would like to find noTest

It always shows me noTests whether I use double quotes or not. The only time I get a different result is when I actually add the extra s and search for noTests

So any idea how to be more specific and exclude other options, in this case searching for "noTest" would exclude "noTests"?

SCR-20231119-bydz
SCR-20231119-byht
SCR-20231119-bylt

Try searching for

word:noTest

That should limit the result to whole words that match your search string.

1 Like

Like a charm! Awesome!
Thank you so much for sharing that. Super useful thing to know :raised_hands:

1 Like

My pleasure. I don't know if it's new to v11 (I haven't noticed it before), but if you type a space in the search field and then hover the mouse over the field it pops up a list of the available search qualifiers; you might find some of the others helpful for narrowing searches.

1 Like

I noticed that list a few times, but I didn't pay attention to it. That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately I just noticed that using word: really just works with a single word, not sentences.

For example if I have Local_var one and var one and I want to look for all actions that only contain var one, using word: will also show me actions with Local_var one

@peternlewis any chances to include something that allows us to search for a group of words, maybe using double quotes to narrow the search?

It will get a bit tedious to enter if you are searching for a lot of words, but in this case a search for

word:var word:one

won't find the local_var instances.

1 Like

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks again!
I will think of a way to create a macro to make it faster for more than 1 word. :slight_smile:

It would still be good if this was a native thing either by using double quotes, or adding something like sentence: (or anything similar, to make it easier and faster)

Search for:

word:"var one"

1 Like

Thanks. That worked like a charm.

Using @RogerB 's option of using 2 or more "word:" didn't work for me, though