Speed Test for OCR (both for Apple and KM versions)

24-inch, 2023;Apple M3;24 GB;macOS Ventura;Version 13.6.2;24-inch (4480 × 2520)
New Apple OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 1.203742
Old KM OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 4.738361
New OCR Performance Level: 394%

Is this the first M3 Mac results? I must admit, I thought it would be better. Hmm, considering that this new monitor is 4.5k, maybe that result isn't too bad.

16-inch, 2019;macOS Ventura;Version 13.2;16-inch (3072 × 1920)
New Apple OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 1.621604
Old KM OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 7.299501
New OCR Performance Level: 450%

But I've also had results of 1.85544 / 5.243367 / 283% and 2.759891 / 7.094646 / 257% with this same machine

Varying results can be caused by varying conditions, like how much text is on your screen, resolution, etc.

I suppose I could have had my macro display a specific sample set on the screen prior to doing the test.

On my new M3 iMac, when I ran my test, it took me several attempts before it would work, because macOS was asking for access to several things like the screen. My macro doesn't attempt to detect those issues.

Ah, didn't realize that it (of course) depends on what is displayed here on the screen.

I cannot help but think that this would be av very interesting addition to a future version of your macro here!

Not only is the Apple OCR faster, just look at how amazingly accurate it is. I found this image in another thread on this site (from a post made by @August)...

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 11.50.53 AM

And look how perfect the Apple OCR resulted in:

CreAtive
PeopLe
dont have <--- Note: it didn't see the apostrophe
a Mess,
tHey haVe
IDeAS
LyIng
aRouNd
eVery-
WHeRe!"

And compare that to how the regular KM v10 (Tesseract) OCR worked:

Creahve ©
People f
ident haVe.
sAMess, —
THEY hes
seh
q ev Ned

Just think about this. That was basically overlapping hand-written text and Apple's OCR was about 99% correct. The other OCR had horrible results. I'm not sure, but I suspect Apple's code used "AI" to resolve this. So it's at least 5 times faster and makes 20 times fewer mistakes.

Now that I mention it, I think I could use Apple's OCR to pass some Captcha tests on some websites. But I probably won't to that because I don't need to.

2 Likes

This is indeed impressive! And a glimpse into our future (under the suppressive reign of AI overlords, haha).

My results vary "allot" from run to run, though still mostly well within spec for 'impressive'. It even picked up that difficult apostrophe a couple of the runs:

Five results form me using Apple OCR

CReAtiVe
PeobL Le
dorf haVe
jaMess,
steY hiVe
I DEAS
g
Lying
aROUNd
eVer
WHere!

CReat iVe
PeopLe
donf have
9 Mess,
tHey haVe
IDEAS
g
Lyin.
g
aROUN
eVer
WHere!

CReAT iVe
PeopLe
don't haVe
19Mess,
g
‡ DeAS
Lying
eVer
WHere!

CReAti ive
PeopLe
don't haVe
ja Mess,
g
IDEAS
VINe
aROUNd
eVer
WHeRe!

CReAti iVe
PeopLe
donf have
jaMess,
tHeY haVe
‡DEAS
g
Lying
aROUNd
eVer
WHere!

Tests done with Apple OCR reading the image on screen direcly form the browser through KM:

My only theory as to why you got lower quality runs than I did is that I reposted/copied the image from its original thread into this thread. Therefore the image probably got modified. If you try using the original image you may get improved results.

Not really getting better result with the original image, so don't know what this is about. I do not think I am the one that runs the most AI tasks on my computer though, so my 2019 Intel-Mac might not have allot of exercice with these kind of tasks (all though it sounds a bit weird that it would work like that).

Apple OCR Results

Tests with the original image from @August's thread, opened in a tab by it's own, with the tighets possible selection area arround the main text.

CReAS live
•Peopl
Le
dont have
a Mess,
3 tHeY hve
‡IDEAS
g
LyiNe
aROUNd
eVer
Where!"

CReAtive
PeopLe
dent haVe
aMess,
IDEAS
Lyin
aROUNd
eVer
WHere!"

Ahh! It's probably that Apple's OCR works better on Mx Macs than Intel Macs.

I remember when news broke regarding this feature that Intel Mac owners complained, and Apple quickly capitulated (a rare event) and provided support for this on Intel Macs. I guess their implementation was rushed and/or didn't end up with the same performance measurements.

1 Like

I agree, that's disappointing. How about OS versions? I have not yet found a reference for what OS is required for the Apple AI OCR.

Fair question. If I recall, it came out in the fall of 2021, which would mean it came out when macOS Monterey was released. Of course, it could have been made retroactively compatible with Monterey or earlier. I supposed it would help if someone running Monterey could run this macro and see if it even works. So far it looks like all the submissions come from Ventura or Sonoma.

I'm not exactly sure if my macro would give an error or not if it ran on a system without Apple's OCR feature.

13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports;macOS Sonoma;Version 14.1.1;13.3-inch (2560 x 1600)
New Apple OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 5.413733
Old KM OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 18.844089
New OCR Performance Level: 348%

I had to upgrade my hard drive to get to Catalina and that's where I'm stuck until I can afford to upgrade the whole Mac, which will not be soon. When I upgrade KBM to v11, I'll be able to find out.

16-inch, 2023;macOS Ventura;Apple M2 Pro;32 GB;Version 13.6.1;16-inch (3456 × 2234)
New Apple OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 0.855005
Old KM OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 5.079265
New OCR Performance Level: 594%

Not a good idea unless there is a user interaction of turning that feature on and off. People will want to run the macro several times.

1 Like

Peter's list of What''s New in KBM 11.0 mentions OS 10.15+

Added Apple Text Recognition to OCR options (macOS 10.15+).

Given this, I tried the "Speed Test for OCR" macro on my Catalina system.

It goes nowhere. My guess is that after it opens the General Preferences pane, the action:

will run forever because there is no "About" menu item, ever.

Any suggesions?

If you just disable the first 9 actions from my macro, (from the Alert action to the second Execute Shell Script action) I believe it will work. You will just have to enter the specs for your system manually.

As you can guess, it's very hard for me to make a macro run on a different macOS version when Apple keeps changing the System Preferences app.

I could probably add one more action to this macro to take this issue into account.

Late to the party but I wanted to contribute...

16-inch, 2019 (2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 wth 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory) ;macOS Sonoma;Version 14.1.1
New Apple OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 2.28467
Old KM OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 4.627749
New OCR Performance Level: 203%

200% isn't as much as others report for their Mx machines, but also keep in mind that (assuming the same Apple OCR code is running on Intel as on Mx) the number of OCR errors (misreading some text) will drop by over 90% and the number of OCR misses (failing to even spot a word) will also be much smaller. So it's still a Win-Win-Win.

Apple M2 Max;64 GB;macOS Ventura;Version 13.5;27-inch (3840 × 2160);27-inch (2560 × 1440)
New Apple OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 2.715712
Old KM OCR speed to read screen, in seconds: 16.030403
New OCR Performance Level: 590%