Feature Request: Let the User Define Title, Frame, Position, and Header for the "Display Text Window" Action

Right now the action "Display text in a Window" pops up in the place and size where it did 'last time', unless the user had two windows open.
I would love it if i can tell the window beforehand:
Size (frame)
Position
Title (currently it is called Keyboard Maestro Display Text)
Header (currently it is: "The text is:")

Could this be possible?

2 Likes

I completely agree. This would greatly enhance the use of the Display Text action, and I would often use it.

1 Like

Much of that is already possible with just a bit of KM manipulation, as explained elsewhere on this forum.

1 Like

Actually that only sets position and size, and requires a separate Action for every Display Text action.
It is obviously much better and easier is the native Display text was modified.

Correct. That's why I wrote, "Much of that".

The rest can be addressed with Custom HTML Prompt. I would much rather have Peter spend his time implementing things that are not currently possible than adding features that only avoid a slight inconvenience.

"Much of that" is inaccurate". "Some of that" would be more appropriate.

As you know, using Custom HTML Prompt is not easy, and is not within the reach of many KM users, as it requires considerable knowledge of both HTML and JavaScript.

It is NOT a "sight inconvenience". Providing the requested features makes it much easier, and opens up solutions not available, or not easily available before.

This is a great example of ridiculous and unhelpful nit-picking.

None of that changes my opinion that it is more important for Peter to focus on making the IMpossible possible. That also adheres to his orthogonal design philosophy.

Of course, it is not a request for something that is currently not possible, it is a request for a more elegant way.

But; I think Peter is wise enough to judge for himself how high to put this request on the list, we don't have to tell him that. If you think my suggestion is a bad suggestion, I would love to hear why. If you think another request must get attention; write that on that thread.

It is not "nit-picking". It was a response to your gross overstatement to try to sell your point.

Yep, that says it all -- it's just your opinion.

You don't need to tell Peter how to do his job. He's been doing a great job many years of providing new and improved features, some of which came from user suggestions. All of this without your help.

You have a very rare, extreme use case, and you seem to want KM tailored to you, rather than what will benefit most users.

FWIW, there are many things I'd like KM to do. But most of them I have been able to develop KM macros and/or scripts to achieve in an automated manner.

Exactly.