[Suggestion] Open a macro's editor as a separate window

It would be incredibly useful to be able to have a macro's editor as its own individual window. It would be a productivity boost to be able to open multiple macro editors and have them side by side rather than having to switch to-and-from, particularly if multiple macros interact with each other.

I'm envisioning this working exactly as how Notes for Mac handles windows. Double click a macro in the macro list to open its editor in a new window.

Is something like this feasible for a future update?

Thank you!

Under KM's File Menu you can open as many editor windows as you want. May not be exactly what you are asking for but it is very useful.

That's a good alternative. Moreover, you can reduce the size of the Groups column to under an inch, in order to get it even closer to what he wants.

Maybe if the KM Editor allowed you to hide the Groups and Macros panes, that might give this user exactly what he wants.

Yes, this would be nice, as would the ability to drag and drop between windows.

You can get some of the way there with

tell application "Keyboard Maestro"
	activate
	set theMacro to item 1 of (get selectedMacros)
	tell application "System Events" to keystroke "n" using {command down, control down}
	tell window 1 to editMacro theMacro
	tell application "System Events" to keystroke "k" using command down
end tell

Pop it into an AppleScript action in a hot key triggered macro, run the macro when a macro is selected in the Editor. Add actions to position the new window relative to others for easier drag'n'drop, or whatever it is you want to do.

You don't even need AS to do this, you can drive it all through KM's menus using KM actions because the window created by "New Editor Window" command inherits the current selection (and yes, that means there's redundancy in the above AS).

Do you mean for moving macros between Groups? Would window to window be any easier than from pane to pane within the same window? Cut/copy and paste works well, even between different machines over Remote Desktop!

Yes. For example, when organizing groups, it would be nice to have two groups open in separate windows so you can see the macros in each group.

Yes. For example, I'd prefer window-to-window over scrolling the group list while dragging a macro when the target group is not visible due to its position in the group list.

1 Like

This is most-of what I'd be looking for, but as you mentioned that editor plane comes attached with your macros and macro libraries. It'd be more fluid to be able to handle macros like notes are in Notes in terms of window management.

Plus, at the moment, attempting to drag actions / content across from one editor window to another will crash KM.

Gotcha. I don't have enough Groups for that to be a problem. I now feel like a part-timer... :wink: