Return opens Desktop

"Disambiguation palettes"? -1

My suggestions:

• Anthagonist palettes
  • Feud palettes
  • Fracas palettes
  • Rivalry palettes
2 Likes

Best name until now for me is "auto palette" because of the way the palette is created. And I think many users of KM are fond of auto-things :wink:

4 Likes
  • Altercation palette
  • Antipathy palette
  • Appomattox palette
  • At Loggerheads palette
  • Clash palette
  • Contention palette
  • Donnybrook palette
  • Macro Wrangler palette
  • Orthogonal Insanity palette
  • Overcongruity palette
  • Peace Pipe palette
  • Quick-Key palette
    ā€¦

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Disambiguation Palette

1 Like

DoppelgƤnger palette

I like that, it's very 'John le CarrƩ'.

1 Like

chris,

I suspect you're just having fun, but having a long list makes picking a choice (for Peter) much more difficult.

On top of that, I don't like any of your suggestions.
:sunglasses: :wink:

Conflict is the right word for a conflict between multiple meanings of the same shortcut. It's not an uncommon usage in application software that allows such a thing.

1 Like

Didn't ask; don't care.

-Chris

1 Like

That may be true. But I'd hazard to guess that most KM users are NOT programmers, and that usage is likely lost on them. Maybe I missed it in the many programming languages I have used/studied, but its intended usage in KM did NOT popout to me.

I may add that it would be useful if the palette could be resized like all other palettes,
but maybe this is complicated?

While what @DrMajorBob is true, I would even go beyond @JMichaelTX's comment and argue that this is a problem even for programmers. The connotation of "Conflict" is something bad, and therefore something particularly to be avoided in a good UI. We allā€”or at least all native English speakersā€”bring to the table our understanding of words from their common English language meanings.

I also only recently discovered the usefulness of the "Conflict" palette, and had similarly been deterred by the name. As someone who spent many years working in software protocols for device connectivity standards, I learned the importance of careful choices in terminology. Along with this, I also learned that no matter how precisely you define a term for use in a technical context, if there is dissonance between the technical definition and the commonly understood definition, compliance will suffer because of human misinterpretations. So, in our "Conflict Palette" context, this means it is harder for people initially to wrap their mind around the positive usage.

I don't want to put words in Peter's mouth, but I would speculate that he originally picked the term "Conflict" to give the user an out when two or more different macros were inadvertently assigned the same shortcut. But the usage has grown, and I add my vote for a name change.

My suggestions are

• Choice Palette
  • Option Palette
  • Alternative Palette

I don't like the term "Auto-Palette", because the "auto" refers to how the palette appears, not what its function is.

2 Likes

I'm not quite sure what the resize issue is, since my palette auto-sizes according the the number of macros included and the length of their names.

But I am very interested in more appearance control. I have some color vision deficiencies, and I would like to have more control over the three critical colors, background, text, and selection characters so that I can have a pleasing appearance, high legibility, and easy recognition of selection characters.

:point_up_2: This x1000

I made a thread not so long ago asking for this same thing

EDIT: Found it, but yours is better.

1 Like

Resizing conflict palettes is currently impossible, I agree with your requests even though I believe they are not at the top of the list of future improvements.

+1 Auto-Palette

or KMPalette or Maestro Palette

*bump