Switch to Previous Desktop Space

As far as I know, this is a macOS limitation. (IMHO, Desktop Spaces are half-baked feature of macOS.) And since there is no macOS public API to change Desktop Spaces, these native shortcuts are required for the macros I shared.

On a related note, you might want to review this post: MACROS: Desktop Spaces • Macros for Navigation and Window Management v1.1

Control+S already is typeable one-handed, for me at least.

In my current menu, shown above with 21 desktop names, I use Option+Shift+Command+S, which I can also type with one hand. The metakey positons are slightly different on my desktop keyboard compared to my laptop, so each entry also is triggered by Control+Option+Shift+S so that my muscle memory works between the two keyboards. For my usage, it doesn't have to be a fast one-handed operation, but it has to be physically comfortable to do.

1 Like

I wonder how Current Key Stats (CKS) does it. CKS lets me define hotkeys for all 21 of my current desktops and, unlike the awkward, position-based system of OSX (Desktop 1, Desktop 2, ...), the hotkeys stay attached to the desktop even if I decide to rearrange the order of the desktops (which I can do with Drag-n-Drop in Mission Control).

Could be with private API's. I think I've read that this is a practice that Apple tries to monitor and restrict from the App Store.

Here's an Ask Different page where the Current Key author comments briefly about the API:

Because macOS API's are limited, the names stay in the app and don't show up in Mission Control.

desktop - How to name a deskop in mission control? - Ask Different.

I may be reading too much into it, but that sounds to me like he's using public APIs and has found a way to get them to do at least most of what he wants.

Hi @August, it could be that the post is referring to some other API's—not sure.

@peternlewis's comment from Apr 2020 states that Apple does not make any of the Spaces API public. Maybe there's been a change since then, but I tend to doubt it.

1 Like

I doubt they are public APIs.

You could ask if the app is using public or private APIs.

I'm surprised its on the MAS if it is using private APIs, but who knows, Apple Review is a mysterious black box.

I did. And I got an answer.

His technique seems doable in KBM (but not by me, not any time soon anyway).

2 Likes

Does anyone have any ideas for how to create something like Spencer's "little invisible app windows"? That seems a steep learning curve for me.

<brainstorm on>
I've been thinking that I could create TextEdit windows where the doc title is the name given to the desktop workspace, all with a common prefix, so they show up together in lists of active TE windows. Either they are as tiny as they can be made and put off in a corner, or even outside the visible area, or they have the name and an icon or symbol, a background color, etc. so they become an identifier flag to let you know which desktop you are working in and maybe to identify the thumbnails that get displayed by Mission Control.

TextEdit is one of the few apps where open windows are restored after a reboot in their original desktops. Most apps reopen a single window and those that do reopen multiple windows often move them all to the first desktop. TE would thus, at least at first look, fill the requirement of changing desktops for you when you bring the appropriate window to the foreground.
<brainstorm off>

Comments?

Sorry, I can't help—that's beyond my pay grade!

But in another forum post I saw the following and noticed the mention of spaces. Maybe it's worth checking out.

Contexts - Radically simpler & faster window switcher for Mac

Thanks Jim,

That looks really interesting! Unfortunately, it’s for Catalina and Big Sur and I am on Mojave.

August

Hi @_jims, I've been making some progress.

I have been unable to find that WhichSpace.app has any kind of API, programmatic access by AppleScript, JavaScript, KBM, or whatever, to read the desktop number or get notification when the desktop changes. Do you know of any?

Meanwhile, it turns out that CurrentKey will call a specific AppleScript script every time the Desktop changes, no matter what method you use to change.

This is documented for CK at https://spencerdailey.com/2021/03/19/setup-banner-notifications-that-will-tell-you-the-name-of-the-space-you-just-moved-into/

So here is my modification of Spencer's script to report not only the current desktop, but also the previous.

As you can see from the debugging comments in the script, I tripped over the two different path syntaxes for AppleScript and the shell. The path hardcoded into the script is also the directory where ck.scpt lives, the default location in CK for the script.

Here's what I get as a Notification at the upper right of my screen, when I change from one desktop to another:
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.11.33 AM

As a Proof of Concept, at this point I have the name of the previous desktop name (Room name in CK terms) available when this AppleScript is triggered.

My next step is to modify the script to save the previous name so that I can read it when I need it, i.e. when triggered by my Previous Desktop hotkey.

One think I really like about CK is the naming of the Rooms/Desktops with meaning, and the other, magic for me, is that when I manually rearrange the order of the desktops, the names follow along, which gives me the freedom to rearrange the spaces in whatever order works for on my current task and the names and contents stay the same.

Yes, I use it throughout the macros that can be downloaded at Desktop Spaces • Macros for Navigation and Window Management.

tell application "System Events" ¬
to tell process "WhichSpace" ¬
to set temp to (title of menu bar items of menu bar 1)
return item 1 of temp

In my macros, that's all I use and need from WhichSpace, however...

If you really want to dig into this, you might find the following interesting:
[feature request] command line app · Issue #25 · gechr/WhichSpace

In that thread, you’ll see reference to davidpurnell/SpaceInfo: A command line app which returns MacOS spaces & display info

1 Like

Hi August

In a totally unrelated question, I am wondering how your friend is doing?

Did he finish the books? Is there a link to purchase?

I am also curious about his context switching as it relates to productivity for both you and him

Can you share how the experience has been?

To my knowledge, Rob is still working on the books.

As for me, it is incredibly useful to be able to have separate desktops on my Mac for different contexts. Right now I'm on my KBM desktop, for general use, forumm browsing, brainstorming, etc. When I'm deep into a macro that is taking some AppleScript or JavaScript testing and research, etc., I may dedicate a couple more desktops to those functions as well. I have a desktop devoted to Facebook, sometimes with six or more windows, another for healthcare and insurance, again with several ToDo lists and browser windows.

Since I was a teenager I've had a fantasy of a well equipped shop with woodworking tools, metalworking tools, and lots of different workbenches for various projects that could in various stages of completion.These days I'd add a couple of 3D printer stations, etc. In a way, my multiple desktops are form of that. I don't have to put everything away that I'm actually in the middle of to be able to take care of something else that comes up.

2 Likes

Getting back to the OP question about switching to the previous desktop space.

@_jims's macros are very useful and seem to be the current state of the art for KM Desktop switching. But as @_jims will tell you, you have to switch windows using his macros for the system to keep track of where you are so that "previous" in the system matches what you think it ought to be.

Unfortunately, there are many ways to change Desktop Spaces, intentionally and unintentionally, without Jim's system, and in those cases, his Previous macro or menu choice won't be what you want it to be. For a simple example, you could be in Acrobat Reader and click on a link inside the PDF. Your default browser will open up a new tab in the most recently used browser window, which may or may not be in that same Desktop Space, and without jumping through hoops before you click on that link, you cannot tell. Suddenly finding yourself in another Desktop Space, of course you will want to return to where you were, and Jim's Previous macro will not be of any help, and if you don't happen to remember, then you have to hunt for it.

That's why I asked the question in the first place. seven months ago, and why, even though Jim's macros are very useful, I haven't market this issue as Solved.

I've come to the conclusion that any working system will require two pieces of information:

• The ID of the current desktop, recorded somewhere to be the "previous" location after a move, recorded at every move.
  • A "trigger" to notify you when anything, user, browser, Finder, Terminal process, or whatever, changes the current Desktop Space.

There's good progress on the first of those above, from @_jims, and over in the thread How to test for a Space (Mission Control)?.

Ideal for the second would be a Keyboard Maestro trigger that the Desktop Space has changed, as I asked about in the OP. We don't have that (yet), but it sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

What if there was a way to create a "virtual" trigger? I think I have one, but I'm not the programmer (yet) to implement it.

I was recently given an "Amulet of Revealing" by the developer of the CurrentKey app. He said:

My swift code listens to this specific MacOS api, here is the line:

NSWorkspace.shared.notificationCenter.addObserver(forName: 
    NSWorkspace.activeSpaceDidChangeNotification, 
        object: nil, queue: nil, using: 
            <the function you want to handle this event> )

I'm not a Swift programmer. That's the first line of Swift code I've actually had an interest in using. I don't even know if I added linebreaks to the above in the correct syntax. What I did would not work for AppleScript.

So I need some help from the Swift programmers on this forum. I'm tagging @CJK, @ccstone, @DanThomas, @ComplexPoint, @MitchellModel, @peternlewis, and @_jims, as folks who I remember participating on this topic in various threads. My apologies to anyone I forgot and to anyone I tagged who isn't interested.

Please help me correct my misunderstandings:

The first part ends in .addObserver so that says to me that this line only needs to be run once and an Observer will be created that hangs around. Is that right?

Does the Observer terminate when the current code stops running, so the code has to stay open, or what? Is that Observer permanent until reboot? I really don't know how this works.

When the Observer is running, it's watching for this notification called NSWorkspace.activeSpaceDidChangeNotification to turn true. When that happens, because of what we're doing here there's no "object" involved (whatever that would be) and no "queue" involved (again, whatever that is), but it will use the function name that I provide to it, "to handle this event".

Can that function be an AppleScript function, or an AppleScript function inside a Swift wrapper, so that the AppleScript function can call a KM function?

If that Observer can indirectly call a KM macro as the "handler", then it seems that's getting most of the way there to having a virtual KM trigger of the Desktop Space being changed.

Am I right? What am I not understanding? What needs to be done to make this work so that KM can start this Observer, if it's not already running, and then get a macro triggered every time anything changes the current Desktop Space?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes.

The code would have to run and continue running and monitor that and trigger a macro when it happened.

It could probably be done in JavaScript for Automation. If not, it would require a small application.

I will add it down as a potential trigger for a future version. I'm glad to see there is at least some Spaces API that is public.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter.

So I would need a small utility (perhaps run from a Terminal window) called something like WatchDesktop or KMDSObserver that would start this Observer and just stay there. From a terminal window, it could be run in the background. Would that be enough?

Are you suggesting that the function that it calls should be in JXA? Or that JXA be used to run this Swift code? Or that this API ought to be available in JXA if it's in Swift?

Since it's a high priority for me, and I know you don't like to make promises of what functions will be in the next update until you've gotten them working, I'll continue banging on this. If you get it working next week, please let me know!

Hi @August. Actually with almost all situations, including the one you describe, the macros I provided will properly track the Current and Previous Desktop Space. This is done using the macro Go to Previous Desktop with the trigger: The focused window: The focused window changes

Notice that I said almost all situations. I recommend using the macros Go Left a Desktop, Go Right a Desktop, etc. when doing explicit space changes because this will guarantee that the Current and Previous Desktop Spaces are properly tracked within the logic of the macro set.

From a practical standpoint, I've found that the rare situations that invisibly change the Desktop Space (from the standpoint of the macro set) cause minimal inconvenience. (I use these macros hundreds of times during the typical week.)

With the above said, my macros could be greatly simplified if @peternlewis was able to add a Space Change trigger to Keyboard Maestro.

If you are looking to roll your own space change detector, I suggest you consider digging into the WhichSpace code. Obviously the developer, George Christou, has determined a method.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Jim (@_jims),

Sorry I misrepresented your macros. That was my recollection of the difficulties that I initially encountered. Maybe I exaggerated in my memory or maybe I wasn't patient enough to learn new habits that worked with those macros. However it happened, I'm very glad to know that they aren't as problematic as I had been painting them to myself. Sorry for the complaints.

However, if simple Go Left and Go Right worked for me, I wouldn't be chasing this. If I had three, five, or nine Desktops, that would probably suffice. And yes, sometimes I can rearrange the order of the Desktops so that the Spaces I am using most are next to each other. That's often the case when I'm doing any kind of programming where I have my working edits in the middle, doc in the Desktop to the left of that and testing in the Desktop to the right. I use Go Left and Go Right a LOT when I'm working on something like that. But for me that's a limited case with 3 desktops out of 20. I have several projects that are in ideation, research, and collecting mode. That's one group of four Desktop Spaces, currently. I have three Desktops that are for ToDo lists, status tracking, and filing/archiving, plust a couple more because I'm testing out different apps in parallel on different projects. I have two for email, one for FaceBook, and sometimes those aren't enough. So usually I'm jumping from one group to another group, and having to know that there's five steps in between is an annoyance, not a help.

Thanks,
August