Text Expansion Via Both Typed Trigger and Palette?

As the number of text expansions I have grows past a couple, I realize that I'm paying a tax to remember the triggers.

I would like either:

• a way to display palette so I don't need to remember
  • a way to display a list of my triggers
  • a magic memory pill

Thoughts?
- Mark

1 Like

Hi @mlevison, maybe this would be something for you?

I have created a palette for Tweetbot, which I call with "tww" and then select the desired text extension with the initial letter.

2022_03_10_Support_1

3 Likes

I just keep some of my expansions in one group, along with some other triggers: that pallete is set to display a palette from a keyboard trigger for one action.
Then I pick the expansion by letter, in some cases even by a second letter. It sounds slow but once it is in muscle memory it is very fast, I forget sometimes that a palette is showing, since ironically since I set it up I have learnt some of the sequences of letters and the Keyboard Maestro response is pretty much instantaneous on my mac. In terms of time I don't find any difference between calling up the palette and then typing a single letter and some of the longer strings one always needs for expansions.

2 Likes

Apply to be a beta tester for Elon Musk’s brain implant company, Neuralink.

But more seriously, what is it that you want to see? Just a list of triggers, or also their macro names or also their expansion values? A solution may depend on what you really want.

2 Likes

Click this made sense. Thanks, if I follow correctly this is a conflict palette. Clever

If I follow correctly similar to @appleianer above, except you make the palette explicit and not a conflict palette. Also clever.

Funny.

Sorry I don't think I trust my brain to Elon, after I've seen what he has created with self driving cars :frowning:
-Mark

1 Like

Yes, you got it, @peternlewis just showed me how to embed a regex search in an expansion too! In fact my system has both conflict and regular palettes in the same routine as it were. I call up the palette and some of the expansions will call up a conflict palette. A few of them, for historical reasons start with "a" for example. So that keystroke calls up a conflict palette. So really it is both types in my system. Does that make sense?

As I said I am barely aware of how it works now because I don't have time to look, it is just a sequence of keystrokes really from my point of view, like it say on the can :slight_smile: Keyboard Maestro! However initially it is pretty smooth and you can see what the keystrokes are supposed to be. I would post it up but the expansions are best kept private I suppose.

You might find Brevis -- Automating Text Expansions helpful. It stores text expansions in one variable and, in addition to typed string triggers of several variants, provides a Control Panel to find them by category, whose list can also execute any of them with a click.

Hey Mark,

At the moment I have 45,895 text expansions in Typinator and a few in Keyboard Maestro that use KM's computational capabilities.

I'd go crazy if I had to manage them all in Keyboard Maestro, and here's my case for why Typinator is a very good synergistic tool to use with Keyboard Maestro:

Typinator 7 Update - #6 by ccstone

Since my memory is not what it once was, and the number of expansions is ever growing... I make extensive use of Typinator's Quick Search function along with the ability to have specialized categories of expansions that only show up in Quick Search when a specific prefix is entered.

I've used this critter for somewhere around 12 years now and am quite happy with it.

-Chris

1 Like

Oh, yeah – Typinator's come a long way since then...

It's progressed to version 8.11 as of 2022/03/15 18:44 CDT.

-ccs