Touch Bar Suggestion

No, but under System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Shortcuts, a new "Function Keys" option appears at the bottom of the list where you can specify apps in which the Touch Bar will show function keys by default (without pressing the fn key). It still recognizes additional modifier keys, either way.

I don't see a way to set that globally so far, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way through the terminal.

But having it application-specific works better for me anyway. I use the function keys to trigger application-specific Keyboard Maestro macros (like F1 / F2 to navigate tabs in Firefox). So I can just add those apps as needed and let the Touch Bar magic be the default in apps where that's more useful. Overall, this aspect doesn't matter much to me since the function keys only tied into maybe 5% of what I use Keyboard Maestro for.

The additional API options would be great, but I don't see the Touch Bar as a negative so far. Just another option that can be primary or secondary (with fn) per app.

2 Likes

Thanks, Dimitri. That answers my question. It’s good to know that additional modifier keys are recognized with the Touch Bar. I’m fairly sure there will be a way to set standard function keys globally, or I may adapt to using the Keyboard > Shortcuts > Function Keys option too.

I still haven’t decided yet whether to buy a new MBP, but the possibility now exists.

hi !
recently this touch-bar app was launched:

its not always the frontmost app (altough it might get kicked out by itunes/xcode)
so there might be a way to add a keyboard-maestro-icon to the touchbar, right ?

1 Like

I imagine they are using the same private Apple APIs that Xcode and iTunes and Screen Capture use (especially based on the comment on that web page). As a rule, Keyboard Maestro does not use private APIs.

1 Like

I wonder how BetterTouchTool does it? Do you think they use those private APIs?

With the ability of the System Prefs to set it so a program shows FN keys by default, it would be nice if the OS or Keyboard Maestro had a way to rename the FN keys. Right now I assign macros to function keys but I have to use my failing memory to know what each function key does. I get excited to think that perhaps instead of seeing F12 I might see an icon or a word for what the Macro is set to do.

1 Like

I do not have an MBP with Touch Bar, but you certainly mean the statements of macros and actions?
If you have Intresse and about 6, - Dollar, then I can recommend you an app for execution :wink:

Here a short video to the function

1 Like

I do! Thank you! What is the name of the app? Link?

1 Like

The app is called BetterTouch Tool @Jim. It costs at least $ 2.99. You can also pay more for the developer. Here is a YT video with instructions on the Touch Bar and the settings.

1 Like

Thank you @appleianer — I already use BTT for my TrackPad, and I am now digging into the TouchBar functionality the developer has added. It looks like it will do exactly what I want. Huzzah!

I think BTT just shot up to become my second most favorite Mac utility!

1 Like

Use BTT and KM and your Mac becomes magic :sunglasses: I can not imagine working on my mac`s without these two apps. The palettes shown in the video I activate in all my apps with a 3 finger swipe to the right. So you do not necessarily need the touch bar. Then a lot of fun @Jim :wink:

5 Likes

Just seeing your message, and totally agree with you. Both Keyboard Maestro and BetterTouchTool our indispensable to my daily Mac workflow.

2 Likes