Trigger file vs Hotkey Trigger

I am using Stream Deck to activate all of my macros? I am starting to run out of key commands.

Is there a noticeable difference in SPEED when using a "Trigger File" in place of a "Hotkey Trigger" while executing a macro?

Is there a reason you don't want to trigger macros directly via 'osascript'? Is that possible with Stream Deck?

Another possibility (as mentioned here:)

Is to use Karabiner to map specific device keys to mouse buttons which KM can then recognize as triggers.

Never thought about scripting... How would you go about doing a triggered osascript? Is this dependent on the hardware supporting this?

The only thing I found on Stream Deck is this :

I know I can have Stream Deck "Launch" a saved script document that has this code:

tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
do script "MyTest"
end tell

Isn't this the same as just "Launching" A Trigger File or is this method more effective and faster?

Have you tried using the KM Action Trigger Macro by Name action?

this works well.

If you'd like something more flexible and powerful, then I highly recommend (and use many times a day), this great macro by @DanThomas:

MACRO: Execute Macro by Name (Spotlight) by @DanThomas

1 Like

I would tend to use AppleScript, but from what I can tell (@peternlewis could tell you definitively) they're both virtually immediate.

The downside is that you can't pass parameters to the macro via a Trigger File, but if that isn't a requirement for you, then I'm not sure it matters.

Realistically for anything like this, the answer is “try it and see if it meets your needs”. There will be a small delay with any triggering mechanism - whether the delay is long enough to be noticeable is the only real question.

Thank you all! I am amazed at all the people willing to help in this community.
Cheers!