Trigger python script, pass KM variables

I'd like to create a macro that copies text to the clipboard, activates a Python script that acts on the system clipboard, stores the results in KM variables, then does more KM actions on those variables. What I can't figure out is how to pass variables (and specifically the system clipboard) to a Python script and back.

1 Like

I’m no python expert but others are. Maybe this will help you:

1 Like

See Execute a Shell Script action for details on passing variables to and from script.

For specifics on python, you will have to know how Python reads environment variables, and/or uses AppleScript, and/or how to print results so that the output can be processed by the action and stored into a variable.

2 Likes

Plain text only, and only the system clipboard? Probably the easiest way is to use the pyperclip module in your Python script.

After a few hours of digging around the forum, I was about to execute the following python script file:

I did this using the Execute Shell Script action below:

However, the script gives a "Read-only file system" error in the log when it is run. Is this an issue related to the path? Or something else entirely?

2022-05-18 09:59:58 Execute a Shell Script failed with script error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/[user]/Downloads/KMtest.py", line 8, in test
    with open("TEST.txt", "x") as f:
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: 'TEST.txt'. Macro “Trying” cancelled (while executing Execute Shell Script).

$(which python) is probably getting you version 2.7.2, which doesn't have an "x" mode (IIRC). Try using "a" (append) if you want to add to a file, or "w" to overwrite the current contents.

Using "w" yields the same result...

Then it's your path to the file as well -- try an explicit open ("/Users/[user]/Desktop/TEST.txt", "w")

Once you've got it working you can worry about whether you actually need to use a relative/variable path rather than an absolute.

And please, please, please close the file when you've finished! f.close() at the end of your test function is enough.

2 Likes

For any future users with the same question, this is the script that ended up working for me:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

import os

def example():
	example_variable = str(os.environ["KMVAR_Variable_Name"])

with open("/Users/USER/Downloads/TEST.txt", "x") as f:
		f.write(example_variable)

example()

# Execute the following from an "Execute Shell Script" action in Keyboard Maestro
# with input from text to pass multiple variables
# $(which python3) /Users/USER/Downloads/keyboard_maestro_python_example.py
2 Likes