Troubleshooting "click at found image"

Hello all,

I have several macros where I use the “click at found image” action, to complete some of the steps that I require per macro.

Recently, I have discovered [after a prolonged absence from work - hence my not using these ‘work-based’ macros] that several of the macros that have the “click at found image”, are failing. The message being “no unique image found”.

Regardless of my playing around with the Fuzzy settings, and introducing new ‘images’, I cannot get them to work again.

The two primary changes my side, are that I have upgraded from a non-retina MBP, to a 2015 retina 15" MBP, and I have upgraded to KM8.
I have not upgraded to High Sierra (still on Sierra) – first want to wait for a .point release…
I am not saying that these are in any way related, I merely mention them.

Before posting here, I created a Test macro.
I dropped Texedit onto my laptop’s screen, did the usual, and it successfully hit the small target to select the Font, in the toolbar of the window.

So it is clearly working for some/new Macros, but not for others.

My question: What does one do to troubleshoot what can be causing the issue?
Playing around with the Fuzzy slider, and dropping in a “new” image, appears to be the only thing I can think of?
As an aside – I do have the necessary “Activate Application X” as one of the first steps in these macros, since they first jump into them, before triggering the rest. I am also over cautious with providing for the Pause (always 1 sec or more), before looking for the image…

Any other suggestions?

PS: Running KM 8.0.3 and macOS 10.12.6

I think the change from non-retina to retina mac has broken your old macros.

You probably needs to make new screenshots to put in the found image action.

Appreciate the reply - that’s what I was wondering.

But what to do where I am working with a “old” external monitor?

Let’s say I take a screenshot [A] of the area I want clicked off the external, and drop it into the Macro.
Must I then test to see if it triggers, with the app I want targeted “on the external”?

And then repeat my test with screenshot [B] on the Retina laptop, and trigger the macro with the targeted app ALSO on the Retina screen?

Wait - think I will try that now.

Like you wrote. Try it with just one macro.

I am working on a retina MacBook Pro. And are often but not always connected to a non-retina external monitor.
And it works fine. I do not notice if I am “clicking a found image” on the external or internal display.

Thanks again, but no dice, unfortunately.

I have now tried it both ways - target menu/application on Retina screen, with screenshot for action taken from/on it, and vice versa [target on external, with screenshot for action from there as well].

Still met with same error.
I’m going to reboot and see if that does anything.

As mentioned, it worked several minutes back on a new Macro - so it’s just frustrating that I cannot get these two macros, which are two of my most used, working again now!

Weird. I do not have any other suggestions. Lets see if any other retina-users have an idea.

Turn on the display option and see what Keyboard Maestro is matching.

If you put the image in a condition (in an If Then Else action for example), and have it visible in the editor, Keyboard Maestro will check it every second so you can clearly see what is and isn’t matching.

Double check the area settings you are using for the match. And also, if you can limit it to less than a quarter of the screen, then Keyboard Maestro will use a more intensive but more accurate search which may give better results.

Grey images, including especially plain text, tend to be very hard for Keyboard Maestro to reliably match.

There is some logging you can turn on that will capture the screen and target images to files, which may help determine if something is going wrong in a more technical way.

Peter, I sincerely appreciate the feedback and suggestions, especially since I use these particular macros regularly – and would really like to get them working again!

I did not realise what the “Display option” does, and now that I know of it, this will be a great help.

I tried your suggestion of placing the Image in a “If Then Else” action, and it has partially worked.
Not sure why the difference, since I am using the same screenshots, on the same displays etc. - but regardless, it is now finding the first Image, where before, it was not.

Still need to tweak a bit to get it to find the 2nd image, but at least with the Display option guides, it is now making it easier to make sense of where things are going awry!

One further question:

What do the “percentages” that appear in the bottom of the display box, represent?
I’m seeing multiple green display cues pop up, across both screens, with varying percentages on them.

The required fuzz for the match.

Green matches are ones that Keyboard Maestro thinks are as good as the best match. You cannot click an image if it finds more than one matching good image. You can use other techniques to find a non-unique image, and then click it (use the Find Image action, allow it to be non-unique, and then use the resulting variable to click at the absolute location). But generally, if you are not finding a unique image then you have a problem if you want to click on it.

1 Like

Follow up question re images. Given that it is possible to specify offsets is a big image area better than a small image area "all others things being equal"? Am assuming a big area would be better?

Short answer: Yes

Big is better also because it is easier/faster to identify on the screen.

Yes, within reason, and assuming the bigger area has some content that can be sensibly matched. If the outer area was just plain grey, then making the search image probably wont help much, but if the area has some color and shape, then a larger image will likely produce a better match without too much slow down.

Thanks. Makes sense.