Trying to access inaccessible menu item in Acrobat Pro DC

While the above Macro works OK as posted, here is an improvement to select the menu item by name, rather than by position:

Yup, that works as well. (In my case it’s “Page Labels”)

BTW, how are you inserting the balloon comments in your (I assume) png’s and other commenting symbols? This doesn’t look like it’s from Preview.

tx

I use SnagIT.

If you do a lot of custom screenshots, videos, and/or animated GIFs, and make great annotations very easy, SnagIT is a great choice. Some consider it too expensive at $50, but that is a license for both Windows and Mac, on all of your computers.

I've used it for over a decade now, and really like it.

Yep. I've used it at least that long also (mostly on Windows until recently). It's like an old, sometimes cranky friend.

Thanks for the tip.

You could also open the menu behind the little Options icon via UI AppleScript.

At least with Acrobat Reader DC this works; I cannot test it with Acrobat Pro DC:

tell application "System Events"
  tell application process "Acrobat Reader"
    tell window 1
      tell group 1
        tell group 1
          tell group 2
            tell group 2
              tell group 1
                tell group 1
                  tell group 2
                    tell menu button 2
                      perform action "Press"
                    end tell
                  end tell
                end tell
              end tell
            end tell
          end tell
        end tell
      end tell
    end tell
  end tell
end tell

Thanks. That is like @JMichaelTX’s down arrow X 8 + return, I suppose.

No. It just opens the menu. (The same as the mouse click, but independent of coordinates/screen dimensions.)

I see. Let me try that next. tx!

The script will just open this menu:
‌

‌

The other actions in your macro —before and after that— are still necessary.

But, as said, only tested with Reader DC.

Acrobat DC is the Candy Crush version of Acrobat. You used to be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to functions that didn’t have them.

Have you tried seeing if you can use an Action (in Acrobat) to apply your page labels? Here’s the Adobe Help on using the Action Wizard: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/action-wizard-acrobat-pro.html

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. That’s a clever way into the problem, but not out of it. Once you create an action it is indeed possible to call it up with KBM through Acrobat’s menus. But selecting that action from the “Action List” seems elusive all over again.