TUTORIAL VIDEO: Using UI Browser and Keyboard Maeastro

Don't be afraid to ask Chris (ccstone) questions. He's got an incredible knowledge of these kinds of things, and doesn't mind helping. He just needs to know specifically what you're trying to do. The fact that you're trying to learn is even better!

So his last reply said he needs a picture of the window before he can help. I'd take him up on that - post a picture!

@JMichaelTX Jim, you might want to split this to a new topic. It's been too long for me to remember how to do this.

Hey Chris,

Here's a typical 1/4 size of the screen Finder window (MacOS 10.14.3, KM 8.2.4) I work with, with the target contextual menu item selected.

Often, I have that A-Z list first which only needs a minimal width column tho the starting column could be the smart folders TOL, Shortcut, or Open Items which all need more width so a fixed width solution is only going to be a workaround.

Ideally, the function would trigger with each new Finder window AND I suppose if the trigger also included a focused window/focused window title changes, then it would continue to adjust when new folders are selected.

Sidebar- this functionality was enough to tip the scales to buy a Path Finder (8.3.8) license for as it has this function but it proved too unstable so I've benched it for now.

Thanks Chris, Dan, and Jim.

I haven't tried this, but I've seen some good reviews. It's called Path Finder. They have a free trial, I think. Just a thought.

Yup, good thought. I recently tried it and found it too unstable for my setup. I’ll let it age for awhile and check again after some more updates. Some folks seem to be doing ok with it suggesting that it may be my setup that’s not playing nice with it. Just not compelling enough at this moment to dig further.

It does right size the column widths which was nice for the couple of weeks it ran before starting to hang.

I don't think it's an issue of needing to age. It's version 8, and it's been around since 2001. If it's not working for you now, then don't hold your breath. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@DanThomas et al:

Version 8 is really like a version 1.0 -- it is clean rewrite, mostly to deal with Mojave issues, but also to deal with limitations of PF7. It has had, and still does, many growing pains. Depending on your usage, you may, or may not, find PF8 acceptable.

We have a lengthy discussion here for those that are interested:
To Path Finder or Not to Path Finder

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning this. I will grab the .dmg before it's gone.

I bought this several months ago. If it wasn't for @DanThomas's YouTube video, I wouldn't know how to use the thing at all. The tutorials, on the UI Browser site, don't help me at all - at least for what I would like to do. I wish there were more tutorials on it.

3 Likes