[WEB] Get URLs from Search Engine Results [Example]

@JMichaelTX This is amazing, how tricky would this be to alter it for a different search engine/website?

Depends on how the results page of the other search engine is designed.
The more similar it is to Google, the easier it will be.

Would you mind taking a look at the linkedin search engine if it's not to time intensive?

It's just the //--- SETUP XPATH --- and //--- GET FIRST LINK --- sections that would require alterations, correct?

Just posted a major update.

Just posted an update which should meet your needs.

Amazing, thanks so much Jmichael

1 Like

@JMichaelTX

I'm currently working on implementing this with a site that lazy loads the search results, is there anyway in keyboard maestro to force load all the results beyond implementing a scroll and pause sequence?

If by "lazy loads" you mean the page stops loading until the user scrolls to the bottom of the current page, then no, I don't know of any other method. This is exactly how this site (KM Forum / Discourse forum) works. It's a PITA. :wink:

You might try posing your question on the stackoverflow.com site.

1 Like

Hi @JMichaelTX I had used this macro a year? or so ago for a bit, and it worked good, thank you.
I've just had reason to revisit and it is not working for me.
I downloaded the updated version and I get no text in the result window... it's blank.
I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 with Safari 14.0 -
thoughts?
Using Google Search engine, 10 lines and URL as options.
When I disable the last action to delete the variables - GS__LinkList is blank
cheers

@troy, I will take a look at my macro when I have some time, but you should be aware of these issues:
ALERT❗ Before You Update to macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Read This

1 Like

Hi @JMichaelTX - I see where it is not setting the GS__LinkList but do not know the fix...

Goggle has changed the HTML on their Search Results page.

You can try this XPATH:

//*[@class="rc"]/div/a

That worked for me running Keyboard Maestro 9.0.6 on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).
Let me know if this works for you.

However, I did note that it includes some links that I did NOT expect it to.
All of the links in this block:

When I get some time (could be a while) I'll look at excluding those links.

1 Like

Thank you for your time @JMichaelTX very appreciated. Yes, I was able to get it to work and as before I'm able to put in certain url's that I want to show SERP for and get a dialog displaying the results placement, by going thru 'for each' line, containing the urls I'm looking for.
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you @JMichaelTX, where do I find the //*[@class="rc"]/div/a so that I can find it next time it changes and not bother you! - just curious to learn. I looked at the 'page source' code and found nothing.
cheers

You won't find that exact Xpath anywhere in the web page. It is something you construct.
The key is identifying some key HTML element, usually a class name, and then constructing the logical path to the target element (the anchor "a" in this case).

The way you read this Xpath is:

• Find the First (or next) element that has a class name of "rc"
  • Then the first "div" sub-element
  • Then the first "a" sub-element

like this:

2 Likes

Did they change the Xpath again? I am again not getting the GS__LinkList.
I took a look to see if I could figure it out but could not.
Appreciate your time and expertise.
Cheers

Hey Troy,

You're searching Google?

I think this is picking up all the links...

(Array.from(document.querySelectorAll("div.yuRUbf > a"), x => x.href)).join('\n')

-Chris

Hi Chris, I set the GS__XPath variable in the macro to
(Array.from(document.querySelectorAll("div.yuRUbf > a"), x => x.href)).join('\n')
and ran the macro, cancelling it after it sets the GS__LinkList and that variable is blank.

I'd really like to use this macro, used to use it a year ago all the time.

This XPATH does seem to be matching in the Console:

//*[@class='yuRUbf']/a

where @ccstone's

Array.from(document.querySelectorAll("div.yuRUbf > a"), x => x.href).join('\n')

is also yielding a harvest.

Hey @ComplexPoint as expected, I was doing something wrong and I am able to get the results, thank you so much to you, @ccstone and @JMichaelTX - the best forum in the world. =)

Just an awesome macro @JMichaelTX!!

Blessings to all.....

3 Likes