Which macro could be using a named clipboard?

Hello,

I would like to delete a named clipboard Temporary that I think is not in use anymore. But when I try to delete it, I get this prompt.

The Value Inspector shows the named clipboard does not have a value.

Is there a way to find out which macro could be using named clipboard?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes.
In the Keyboard Maestro editor press ⌥⌘F
This will search all your Macros.
In the Search Field (which will already be active) type "Temporary"
This should find the Macro that is using the "Temporary" named clipboard. There might be more than one hit but you should be able to easily find the right one.

1 Like

@Zabobon -- Thank you so much for your quick response. That works beautifully. I thought the Search field was only for searching against Macro names only. But it actually searches everything, even within the macros. This is exactly what I was looking for. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Chris,

This doesn't really matter. Peter is just warning you that there is a macro that uses that named clipboard, and it could be recreated (if you run the macro again).

So there is no need to delete the related macro.

-ccs

It would be nice, though, if there were a way to show/search for clipboards only... because when I went through my 1,000+ macro library last year to clean up and consolidate my use of named clipboards, it was a pain finding a few of them (such as Temporary) because of their names also being used in other contexts.

@cdthomer -- I see your point. Since the Search field searches everything even words in the Comment section. Maybe have a dropdown to allow search against: clipboards, variables, etc, All

If you find too many items coming up, you can narrow down the search to "named clipboard" temporary

This will only list items that have named clipboard and temporary. (The quotes cause named clipboard to be treated as a phrase i.e. a single item). In my case it found only macros that referenced this clipboard (and highlighted the Actions it was used in).

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/manual/Search_Strings

3 Likes

I want to say I tried not only this but many other search strings but still had a few outliers that I had to search the master plist file to find, but it was so long ago I don’t recall very well.

2 Likes