WhichSpace.app Cannot Be Opened?

Trying to implement some of the options in this awesome thread: MACROS: Desktop Spaces • Macros to Improve Navigation and Window Management, v1.1

I'm not very computer savvy.

When I download the app and have it on my M1 Mac:

And try to open it, I get this:

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 13.59.00

How do I successfully install WhichSpace?

Thank you!

HI, @CharPatton. I'll provide two links with related information. The process depends on the macOS version and some System Preferences.

First try this: Apple can’t check app for malicious software - Apple Support

If that doesn't solve your problem, go to this page: Safely open apps on your Mac – Apple Support (AU)

and then read the section with the following heading: If you want to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer

If you are still unable to get WhichSpace to run (test again after rebooting), please let me know.

On a related note, make sure you configure WhichSpace to automatically start during login.

Nice. Thanks! Will try that. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Many thanks!

I successfully installed WhichSpace, but it didn't seem to support multiple monitors. So then I saw a version of it called SpaceMan which does. That's installed and running fine now. So now I need to read your awesome post on navigating Desktop Spaces with Macros and see if my senile old brain can understand it. I'm trying to use Macros to assign a set of application windows to various Deskspaces, eg macro 1 distributes windows in a certain way across two monitors when I am primarily working with e-mail, macro 2 rearranges the application windows when I am primarily surfing the WEB, etc.

Again, appreciate your help.

Hey Guys,

Point to note – the macOS does not generally like it when you try to open apps that are still in the ~/Downloads folder.

To turn off the quarantine bit and get Gatekeeper to sanction your app you need to manually move it into the ~/Applications folder or elsewhere.

-Chris

1 Like

Many thanks! After following the suggestions above I was able to install WhichSpace and SpaceMan.

Now trying to figure if I may automate custom window/app placement in multiple Mission Control spaces with KBM for multiple different sets of placements.