Why 3 switchers for Copy, Cut, and Paste?

I’m finally starting to use KM for more than just a few quick trivial macros.

Right now I’m trying to wrap my head around the Clipboard Switchers. Clipboard History is pretty straightforward, but for the life of me I can’t see the difference between the Copy, Cut, and Paste Switchers, and especially why they use 3 keyboard shortcuts.

Is the functionality different depending on mode? Can I just use a single shortcut instead and switch using the title bar icons? I’m so confused.

Good question - I’ve wondered this myself.

@jhvanophem John: This might be a good place to start; https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/Clipboards
Also check out this one: https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/manual/Clipboard_History_Switcher

I have resisted reading the manual more than a light perusal but started to dig in a little more after @peternlewis responded to a post from the wiki. It’s actually easier to read than most manuals. You might want to check it out. I am confused about the clipboards as well. I use “past and match style” in my mail app which is COMMAND+V with some additional modifier keys so I was confused when the other palettes (if that’s what they are called) started to show up. I started trying to figure it out this week.

@DanThomas has done some videos and there are some on YouTube as well. You might want to search and see what you find. If I could nail down some of the stuff I don’t know I could probably make some beginner videos too.

1 Like

These are switchers for the Named Clipboards.

Check it out:

Open an editable text document, then…

Open the Copy Switcher, select a word in your document, double-click a named clipboard in the switcher
--> the selection is copied to the named clipboard.

Open the Cut Switcher, select a word in your document, double-click a named clipboard in the switcher
--> the selection is cut to the named clipboard.

Open the Paste Switcher, place the cursor in your document, double-click a named clipboard in the switcher
--> the clipboard is pasted to the document.

why they use 3 keyboard shortcuts

You can assign the same shortcut to all. This will bring up a palette where you can chose the switcher. For example:

THANK-YOU!

That was what I was looking for, a simple use case for each.

I already moved them to a single conflict palette, so I save a bit on the shortcuts. I even used the same shortcut as yours. Goes back to the days of Quicksilver if I recall.

John, Try this: Find 2 or 3 macros you like. Assign all of them to the same hotkey. (You might want to note what the hotkeys currently are so you can return them to the original state later). Following Tom’s suggestion, use the same hot key but try changing the names of the macros and see how that effects your key choices. You may decide you never really need to set unique keystrokes because it’s so helpful to have that list popup. Something else that’s helpful is only enabling for certain applications. For example my moving script is only enabled for the Finder so it’s not going to trigger elsewhere which means I can use the same Macro keystroke shortcut again provided it’s also only enabled in the applications it’s relative to. It’s sort of like getting two for one while at the same time allowing you to use letters that make more sense to recall what you’ve used. (e.g. “F” for “Find”).