Why does text show differently between Terminal and KM Window?

If the warning is being sent to STDERR instead of STDOUT then this is the clause you add to the statement (in this case, the "man" statement):

2>/dev/null

That's from memory. I can't test it right now.

Well your Execute Shell Script action would have to include the set TERM=dumb command.

I see you get an “unknown locale” warning so that’s probably the shell telling you it’s going to ignore the TERM setting and use its default. Instead of dumb you could try tty

BTW, did you echo $TERM at all. If so, what did it come back with?

I remember that too @Airy, but the warning is followed by a request to press the enter key, and it's that that's causing the issue!

Thank you @tiffle for splitting this out into a new topic!

Here I reveal my level of competence when it comes to scripting, because this is something I am not sure how to do. I've tried set TERM=dumb | man pmset but it does not seem to make any difference to how the man pmset is returned within KM. The same happens with set TERM=tty (i.e. nothing), both from KM and in Terminal.

Jupp, it returns xterm-256color in Terminal, and dumb from KM

Well, I've tried every combination I can think of and I can't get any result that different to yours.

So, this is the shell script I'm using now:

export TERM=dumb
echo $TERM
man pmset

The result in terminal is this:

% export TERM=dumb
% echo $TERM
% man pmset                                                                                                                         
dumb
WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Press RETURN to continue 
PMSET(1)                                                                     General Commands Manual                                                                     PMSET(1)

NAME
     pmset – manipulate power management settings

SYNOPSIS
     pmset [-a | -b | -c | -u] [setting value] [...]
     pmset -u [haltlevel percent] [haltafter minutes] [haltremain minutes]
     pmset -g [option]
     pmset schedule [cancel | cancelall] type date+time [owner]
     pmset repeat cancel

In KM I use this:

And the output I get is this:

So I'm unsure how to get the output to be the same using the TERM environment variable.

Maybe someone else can shed light on this?

1 Like

Thank you so much for your testing and trying to figure this out! And yes, your results look very much like mine.

It’d be very interesting if someone have a solution here. This mostly for learning and satisfying the curiosity, but I also wanted to implement the pmset manual into my version of @Airy’s PMSET Action, that I thought could be a good learning tool to have within KM, as well as a resource of conditions to use within future macros.

I think have a solution (more of a fix than a proper solution). You see, those things that you see as doubled letters aren't actually doubled letters. They are two of the same letters separated by an actual ^H character which KM isn't showing, even though it's there. First, do this:

which produces:

PMSET(1)                    General Commands Manual                   PMSET(1)

N^HNA^HAM^HME^HE

Next, do this: (where \x08 represents the backspace character)

which produces:

N@NA@AM@ME@E

Now for the fix:

which produces this:

NAME

That appears to be a valid fix to the problem. By removing the head command, you get the correct results:

NAME

SYNOPSIS
     pmset [-a | -b | -c | -u] [_______ _____] [...]
     pmset -u [haltlevel _______] [haltafter _______] [haltremain _______]
     pmset -g [______]
     pmset schedule [cancel | cancelall] type date+time [owner]
     pmset repeat cancel
     pmset repeat type weekdays time
     pmset relative [wake | poweron] seconds
     pmset [touch | sleepnow | displaysleepnow | boot]

DESCRIPTION
     pmset manages power management settings such as idle sleep timing, wake
     on administrative access, automatic restart on power loss, etc.

Note that processes may dynamically override these power management
     settings by using I/O Kit power assertions.  Whenever processes override
     any system power settings, pmset will list those processes and their
     power assertions in -g and -g assertions. See caffeinate(8).

SETTING
     pmset can modify the values of any of the power management settings
     defined below. You may specify one or more setting & value pairs on the
     command-line invocation of pmset.  The -a, -b, -c, -u flags determine
     whether the settings apply to battery ( -b ), charger (wall power) ( -c
     ), UPS ( -u ) or all ( -a ).

1 Like

That’s the one! I had a whole shelf of O’Reilly books!

1 Like

Thank you! I was thinking something like this using regex, or in your case Shell, could give a possibility for a functioning workaround!

Only problem is that I must admit i do not understand how the three steps you present could be inplemented into one single workflow.
Or is it only the last step, the fix, I should use? This returns only the first three lines, that seems to be making sense as this is what the head -n 3 part does, right? But when I remove that specific part here the script fails.

There's really only one step. (I was just documenting my thought flow for educational purposes.) Try this:

The string you need is:

| sed 's/\x08.//g'

1 Like

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I sadly was in a bit of a hurry, and I’ll look at your reply more closely when I am back by my computer again, in a couple of hours. I also have the sneaking feeling that I messed up something, with the vertical bars or something, when removing the head-part

In Shell commands, the vertical bars are Pipes that connect the output of one command to the input of another. You could replace them with saving the output of one command to a file and then reading that file with the next command, but a single "|" is much simpler and, when you get used to it, more readable because the concept is clearer.

1 Like

I must have mistyped something because now it works and gives me the same results as you displayed.

But I now noticed that this fix doesn't play all nicely with the underlined characters (the ones resulting in intertwined underscores in KM before the fix). As exemplified by line 7, (displayed as bottom line) both from your results and mine:

From KM with fix

man pmset | man pmset | head -n 7 | sed 's/\x08.//g'

NAME

SYNOPSIS
     pmset [-a | -b | -c | -u] [_______ _____] [...]
From KM without fix

``

NNAAMMEE
     ppmmsseett – manipulate power management settings

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
     ppmmsseett [--aa | --bb | --cc | --uu] [_s_e_t_t_i_n_g _v_a_l_u_e] [...]
From Terminal

man pmset | head -n 7

Unknown locale, assuming C

NAME

SYNOPSIS
     pmset [-a | -b | -c | -u] [setting value] [...]

The fix seems to sometimes be removing the originally underlined wanted character, together with the ^H; instead of removing both of the unwanted characters, _ and ^H. Do you see any way around this behaviour @Airy?

Oh! I didn't see that. I may have a solution. Hold on.

Yes, the problem in this case is that the underscore is the first character, not the second, so my moving the dot before the backspace, I think it will work. Use this string instead:

| sed 's/.\x08//g'

Of course now the underline character disappears instead of the text character.

Ultimately, the real solution is for someone to figure out how to redefine the terminal so that the man command generates output compatible with, say, RTF. That way it would appear as desired. My fix is just a temporary workaround.

1 Like

You can get an ugly unformatted man page by piping it through col, which...

filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so that the output is in the correct order with only forward and half forward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible.

The -b option tells it to not output any backspaces. So this works:

man pmset | col -b

Displayed in a window, I get this:

However, I honestly don't know if that's good enough, or even what this thread was originally about :). I just know it works.

-rob.

1 Like

Thank you, both of you, for amazing fixes! These (from what I understand) very different approaches result in identical results, that as far as I can see are identical to what is returned from terminal, of course without the formatting.

The | col -b will be he one I use, as it seems like the most "native" solution, but otherwise I'd be more than confident using the | sed 's/.\x08//g' one. I would not go as far as saying the unformatted text is ugly, it's plain, less attractive, but very readable!

The only thing that could top this solve would be if anyone had any idea on how to display formatted results like this, with the formatting, within a KM window, but as of now this is a very good solution!

I'm pretty sure you could do it by outputting the formatted man page to a PDF file, then opening that PDF file in a custom HTML prompt in Keyboard Maestro. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to play around with it beyond thinking it should work :).

As a start, though, this sample macro will create a PDF of whatever page you pass it, then open it in Preview:

__man to PDF.kmmacros (2.1 KB)

Once you have the PDF, it's just a matter of getting it into a custom HTML prompt window. I know that's possible, but it'd take me a while to figure out how.

-rob.

1 Like

I think you are definitely on to a way of displaying fully formatted the man pages here. But as I wouldn't even know where to begin understanding how to set this up using HTML, I personally am at a loss here. And I probably then have to settle with the unformatted text returned through your | col -b fix. Which is not at all the worst of compromises

OK, I spent a bit of time on it this morning :).

View PDF of man pages in KM.kmmacros (6.4 KB)

That macro will prompt for the Unix command you wish to see:

And then display it centered onscreen in a window with the dimensions set by the first two variables:

-rob.

3 Likes