XKeys - Single Key Alongside Modifier+Adjacent Key Triggers

Hi, I'm trying to replicate my XKeys setup from the sadly deceased Controllermate. I want to be able to use single XKey presses to trigger actions, but also trigger actions from an XKey as modifier + additional press of an adjacent XKey.

I have followed instructions in another post and set up variable to text modifiers for 2 adjacent keys, 1 for is down and 0 for is released. I can see the values changing in the value inspector. For a single key trigger I plan is to use a key release trigger on condition the adjacent key is not pressed (which I can get working if the modifier variable macros are disabled). For modifier+adjacent triggers I can use the down press of the 2nd key as trigger on condition the modifier is down, then in order that the modifier key doesn't trigger it's own single key action on release I have tried to add another 'modifier override' variable on the 2nd key press which can be fed into the conditions of the single key trigger.

The problem is that using the same XKey triggers in additional macros causes the modifier variable macros to stop working. I could really do with some help understanding how to use the modifier variables to do what I want. I don't seem to be able to trigger a macro directly from a variable state change. I can't use the XKey as a hotkey to disable/enable a macro. What's the way round this?

Many thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Keyboard Maestro is not a keyboard simulator, so it cannot be used to create modifier keys. You need a lower level tool like Karabiner Elements for that, but also one that can handle X-Keys devices. I don't know if such a tool exists.